Looking for Fundies Classmate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, everyone! :)

Some background first:
In the fall of 2011 I had a day of private training with Bob Sherwood, and it was fantastic. I wrote about it here: My official introduction to GUE - Long Report with Mind-Numbing Detail.

Everything I learned during that day made sense and appealed to my rather fastidious nature, including the simple, functional aesthetic of DIR gear. But I had no local GUE buddies, and I kind of lost focus. I took the SDI solo class, and I started thinking about taking cavern and intro, deco, deco with helitrox, advanced wreck - my thinking was all over the place.

Then, wham! I was struck by lightning this fall when I finally had the opportunity to dive with GUE trained buddies. In my report, TS&M said, "Training one-on-one with the instructor, although effective, doesn't give you much of a feel for the deepest core of GUE diving, which is working as a team." She was absolutely right. Something just clicked when I dove with Donna, Sam, and Eugene. (I hope it's okay that I'm using your names. If it's not, blame Sam!) I felt so comfortable not having to constantly be looking around for my buddies during the dive and knowing that they would not take off and leave me. We all stuck together, stayed close, went slowly, and had a great time!

I got back in touch with Bob, and now I am committed to taking Fundies. I've even stopped solo diving. I have one local buddy who may want to take the class, but he's not sure. My regular buddy isn't interested, even though I've offered him my single rig saying he will like it if he tries it. :wink:

So . . . I'm trying to find someone who would be interested in taking a Fundies class next spring or summer at the St. Lawrence. If we could get some dives in before the class, that would be great.

Post a topic on Ontariodiving.com there can divers from Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal be interested. Last summer Bob was teaching a class in Toronto and I constantly hear here and there that people are interested.

Thanks for the suggestion, Elan, but I'm a bit wary of posting GUE stuff in non-GUE forums.

Thanks for the suggestion, Elan, but I'm a bit wary of posting GUE stuff in non-GUE forums.

I think you are lead by a wrong assumption. The ratio of GUE/non-gue posters on that whole forum is probably higher than in the DIR section on SB :) Besides most semi-local instructors including Bob and Dan and local Ottawa instructor Steve post their class dates there. Ottawa and Toronto (and Montreal is catching up quickly) is one of the biggest GUE certified communities.

Check it out, it can be slowish but there is a chance someone in planning to do Fundies next spring, - i see people train at humber over winter often.

If you need a buddy across the pond (Ontario) and the creek (St Lawrence) :) or in the niagara river to practice feel free ot get in touch, we can go for a dive sometimes, I dive even during winter.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2012 at 02:35 PM ----------

BTW, I just recalled that I spoke to my acquaintance in the pool last Monday and he was thinking of taking Fundies next season. You can send me your email I will forward it to him so you guys can hookup together.

Very excited for you, Lisa. No problem blaming me if Donna and Eugene get upset about being mentioned in your thread.

I hope we get another chance to dive again soon. Am here if you have any questions.

Sam, I hope you know that you are helping me stay focused on my goals through your encouragement and support. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then, wham! I was struck by lightning this fall when I finally had the opportunity to dive with GUE trained buddies. ...
So . . . I'm trying to find someone who would be interested in taking a Fundies class next spring or summer at the St. Lawrence.

Beiji, Congrats on talking the plunge. Great bunch of divers up there, you will enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom