Looking for Healthways parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duke Dive Medicine

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,
We are looking for a mouthpiece and hoses (1") to fit a Healthways double-hose regulator that was donated to us by a patient. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DDM

Ditto , Vintage Double hose is the place you want. Their silicone hoses are really nice. The original hose sets on Healthways reg's were their down fall. If you use a USD/Voit style set up on a Healthways it will breath super nice. Especially the Gold label which was the last double hose reg they made.

Thanks to you both. The regulator is not in working condition, it's for display only.
DDM

Thanks to you both. The regulator is not in working condition, it's for display only.
DDM

That problem can be easily be cured and I can teach you to dive it :)

Do you have to have Healthways hoses or will others like US Divers do?
If either will do, let me see what I can come up with, I know a lot of folks in the vintage diving community and am local to you (Raleigh).

For display, you may want the proper hoses which were 1" on both ends. You can find them here, about 1/5th of the way down the page (item ##HWBH):
Two Hose Regulator Hoses Clamps Mouthpieces Duckbills Parts

However, finding the proper mouthpiece may be more of a problem, but I'm sure all these guys who converted to the US Divers system must have oodles of original Healthways mouthpieces laying around that they don't want to use:wink:

Send me an e-mail at Sdbb57@hotmail.com I have a new old stock healthways mouthpiece I'd be happy to donate. I can probably find some old wagon wheels for it as well if you don't have them.

Thanks for the offer of parts help, Herman and DA Aquamaster. I wish I'd read your posts a couple of days ago since I did end up ordering from Vintage Double Hose. I had ordered a mouthpiece from them some time back, not realizing it was 1 1/2". The owner kindly offered a refund, but having seen some of the other more pricey websites, I just ordered the hoses from VDH that are 1" on one end and 1 1/2" on the other to fit the mouthpiece. This is probably heresy to the true lovers of old equipment, but I think restoring it to original working condition would cost more than the reg is worth. The diaphragm and HP o-ring have hardened, the duckbill and mushroom valves are missing, etc. I figure most of our patients won't know the difference, and the one who donated the reg body will be happy to see it displayed.
For Duckbill: thanks, I did run across that web page in my search for parts.
Thanks again everyone for your kind assistance!

Duke,

I don't know which of the three double hose regulators Healthways made that you have. The original was pretty unique, and looked like this:
HealthwaysScubaRegulator1.jpg

Here's the internal parts (which are much the same on all the models):
HealthwaysScubaparts3.jpg

The other models looked like this:
IMG_3209.jpg

The Healthways hose/mouthpiece system was routinely replaced with the one you bought for the later two models. The first had a Hope-Page mouthpiece (see the first photo) and was quite nice.

This regulator did not have a duckbill, except on the first model (it is a small one located in the exhaust chamber); it had a mushroom valve for the exhaust of the second two, and that made it easy to maintain.

Many people look at the Healthways diaphragm, and think it is brittle. It usually is not. This diapragm is rubberized nylon, and will last a very long time. It may need a coating of silicone grease to restore the rubber, but I've never seen a Healthways diaphragm which had to be replaced. The other parts, except the O-ring on the orifice seat, are almost impervious to wearing out or weathering. So it is very possible that you now have a regulator that you could dive if you wished. It can easily be cleaned up for diving. The only thing is that if you have the original Healthways, there is an exhaust imbalance which requires that small duckbill in the exhaust hose.

Good luck,

SeaRat

Thanks for the offer of parts help, Herman and DA Aquamaster. I wish I'd read your posts a couple of days ago since I did end up ordering from Vintage Double Hose. I had ordered a mouthpiece from them some time back, not realizing it was 1 1/2". The owner kindly offered a refund, but having seen some of the other more pricey websites, I just ordered the hoses from VDH that are 1" on one end and 1 1/2" on the other to fit the mouthpiece. This is probably heresy to the true lovers of old equipment, but I think restoring it to original working condition would cost more than the reg is worth. The diaphragm and HP o-ring have hardened, the duckbill and mushroom valves are missing, etc. I figure most of our patients won't know the difference, and the one who donated the reg body will be happy to see it displayed.
For Duckbill: thanks, I did run across that web page in my search for parts.
Thanks again everyone for your kind assistance!

No problem. If you would like to dive an old double hose reg some time, drop me a PM. I have several restored regs and always happy to give divers the opportunity to dive the old gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom