Looking for heavy backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just pondering this.... Using the outer rim holes on the plate, can you use a strip of webbing run across the plate, with a pair of weight pouches (like the XS Scuba ones or similar) anchored with sex bolts on the rim holes, and running the pouches under the wing?? If you did this x2, and used 2#-3# soft pouches...

If there are single tank cam straps not being used, it might work to stabilize the webbing run across the plate....

did I describe it okay?

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 07:19 AM ----------

Option "X":

stop by a metal supply/fabrication shop, and see what a set of simple rectangular plates would cost you to have made. drill them and your plate (possibly tap?), and bolt on....

Lowviz : Interesting design and it looks properly massive. Would work nicely. Let me know where you keep it and when you won't be home for a while.

I think the goldinc email address is old. Another thread mentioned that it bounced. Some time around Katrina. I'll try finding contact info at the snail mail address you gave. Thanks.

DIR Zone also sells very nice 6mm steel back plates.

More expensive than other options. Just like all the ones from Europe.

Option "X":

stop by a metal supply/fabrication shop, and see what a set of simple rectangular plates would cost you to have made. drill them and your plate (possibly tap?), and bolt on....

Would probably be easier to get the DSS lead plates and have a local shop drill and attach them. Not a bad idea. Not sure Tobin will sell the weight plates to me. They are made for DSS backplates and they don't like selling accessories if they won't be used on DSS plates.

I have one I don't use. I bought it used, years ago. I can't remember exactly but I think it's a Fred-T plate. It's an "unfinished" plate so it's not shiny and pretty, but fully functional.

I have an AGIR 6mm plate. It weighs in at just over 5.1kg. Being AGIR it was expensive. I only use it when diving dry.

Would probably be easier to get the DSS lead plates and have a local shop drill and attach them. Not a bad idea. Not sure Tobin will sell the weight plates to me. They are made for DSS backplates and they don't like selling accessories if they won't be used on DSS plates.

they are SS, not lead. Keep in mind, they are shaped specifically to his plate. Alignment with webbing slots being paramount, and likely needing modification. I had to modify a pair (even on my DSS plate) to facilitate accessing the plate rim holes better than provided, and it was a healthy endeavor utilizing an end-mill. Those plates are thick and hard....

they are SS, not lead. Keep in mind, they are shaped specifically to his plate. Alignment with webbing slots being paramount, and likely needing modification. I had to modify a pair (even on my DSS plate) to facilitate accessing the plate rim holes better than provided, and it was a healthy endeavor utilizing an end-mill. Those plates are thick and hard....

Blasphemy:D You'll get in trouble....

It seems one of my buddies has a DSS plate with the weight plates attached that he doesn't use any more. He's gonna let me try it this weekend and we'll see. I had no idea the weight plates were SS instead of lead. I'm just looking for a way to get lead off my waist and distribute it more. Gonna make the rebreather heavy as hell.

Thanks fire_diver. I'll let you know.

I love the 16# the DSS plate and weight plates gives me (long pattern plate @ -6# and long plates @ -10#). Coupled with a HP 120, I dive with no weight belt with my Dry Suit and heavy thermals....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom