Looking for help on Trip options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dived in Thailand before ... did 4 day livaboard to Similans

Looking to book a 14 day trip to Thailand in 2015 ...
Will fly initially into Bangkok and after a few days there looking to trvale South - and this is what I am looking for ideas on.

Last time I stayed at superb Hotel in Phuket before and after Livaboard, was at that time a solo traveller (as was in Asia on business)

This time will be a holiday with non-diver (wife) so trying to get some suggestion of what resort to go to for 2nd part of trip ............ needs to be somewhere where I can get some day diving done ....... I have heard you can get it wrong and some resorts are packed with try-divers and overcrowded day boats, factory type dive centres operations.

So needs somewhere that my wife will be happy with hotels and beach, and good diving for me.

I am not after Tech diving ... single tank to 40m, I am happy with shore or boat - don't need challenging diving, just enjoyable - coupled with some happy snapper photography ... fish, wreck or reef all work for me. (easily pleased)
I have PADI MSD, 40M & Nitrox .. and have logged just over 200 dives.

Also happy for any direct PM if any Dive Centres want to raise their hands.

If I were you, I would go to Koh Lanta. For a beach vacation, it is much calmer and nicer than Phuket. There are good daytrip options to the very nice sites at Koh Haa and also Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, and even Phi Phi. You can fly from BKK to Krabi and get a van or taxi from there. Search this forum for more information - it has been discussed before.
Have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I really enjoyed koh lak, laid back but lots of restaurants and services. Cheap and great diving options like daily boat trips and 2-3 day live aboards. The wife and I got a scooter and it was super easy to find private beaches, interesting scenery and still do any touristy things you'd like (elephant rides, monkey temple etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang offer excellent diving, and I like Koh Lanta. But Lanta is almost dead between May and October, and from Lanta to other diveareas like the Shark Point area is really far. And Khao Lak is dead between May and October without any dive options.

So before saying anything else, if you can let us know the time of year you'll get a better answer.

Should have stated this .
Last time I went and did Livaboard it was last week of Nov.
So Nov or Jan

Should have stated this .
Last time I went and did Livaboard it was last week of Nov.
So Nov or Jan
Yes, in those times the whole of the Andaman Coast is a very good option, with all of the places having their pro's and cons.
Khao Lak; diving at Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. Very good diving, reasonably expensive, nice resorts and beaches, IMO not a nice town;
Phuket: diving at Similans (albeit far on a daytrip), Racha Islands, Shark Point area and Phi Phi. Good diving, lots of resorts and places so just pick what and where you like.
Phi Phi: diving at Phi Phi and Shark Point area. More of a backpacker party destination, but divesites close by, so you can spend more time with your wife. Does not sound like what you're looking for, but IMO worth to check out.
Ao Nang (Krabi): diving at Phi Phi, Shark Point area and sometimes also Hin Daeng (which is far though). Good diving, nice resorts etc.
Koh Lanta: diving at Hin Daeng etc. and Phi Phi. Divesites quite far away but nice, more a family destination.

All in all I would say all could fit the bill, just make the choice based on the town/place to stay.

Thx .. all suggestions welcome.

My personal preference as a base that time of year would be Koh Lanta. But good diving to be found in the Andaman where ever you chose as your land base.

Back
Top Bottom