Looking for help with trip location selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have never dove in Asia (outside of one week on Bali 15 years ago), so I'm looking for some help in picking a location. Here's some background and requirements/needs for the trip - I know it might get long, but I understand it's impossible to offer good advice if one doesn't know enough about the request or person making it:dork2::

Traveling from HKG & NRT:
From the U.S., we'll be visiting Hong Kong for some business I have, and we need to travel through Tokyo on the return to U.S. So, I'm looking for a location that isn't so far from HKG, and even better if served by both Cathay for the trip there and JAL for the return. If not, then best if served by some other airline by at least nonstop from HKG and NRT. If not, then can we at least get a nonstop in one direction while connecting in the other? Just looking at distances on a map, Phillipines and Vietnam appear to be the closest to HKG.

But, probably the biggest decision criteria for us will be ease of travel, specifically number of flights (from HKG and back to NRT) and between destination airport and resort (e.g. driving/bus, boat commute, etc.).

Visa issues:
I'm a U.S. citizen - so no worries there - but my wife is a Colombian citizen with U.S. Green Card (permanent resident). So, best choices are countries that don't require a visa from her. I believe Phillipines don't require a visa for her, but Malaysia/Thailand/Vietnam do I believe.

Timing
The trip would be first week of August, and I'm not all that familiar with the Asia storms and weather (as I am with Atlantic hurricane patterns/season).

Diving
I am an experienced diver, somewhere between 500-1000 dives I'll guess (many from my or friends' boats in Miami), with trips all over the Caribbean. I like macro and big life but also everything else... I won't be shooting or diving technical, just breathing "air"... I love drift dives as much as non-drift... I do dislike crowded dive sites and big dive boats and have no problem on a small six-pack or skiff type boat... I don't like cold water diving and prefer tropical diving.

But, my wife doesn't dive, so we'll need a location that has some nice beaches. Somewhere with a day diversion might be good - nothing serious - but if I dive in the morning and then together in afternoon we can hit a desolate beach, sail, kayak, snorkel from shore, etc.

Other
We don't need a ton of nightlife, we won't do any partying.

Obviously, a live-a-board is not going to work :(

We're not looking to spend a lot, certainly not looking for an expensive luxury experience... but we do want something nicer than the budget dorm type place.

We do love to eat great Asian food, so "American food" choices are not of interest... the only SE Asian food we're not familiar with is Phillipino (although what I've had of it in the Bay Area isn't my favorite) - we love Thai, Vietnamese, Malay, Indian, "Chinese", etc.

I hope I didn't forget some key detail...

THANKS!!

Hi Leo,

The best diving in Asia is in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

Philippines is OK but if great diving and great Asian food are high on the agenda then why not just get a visa for the wife. I think your assumptions about visas for other countries could be wrong. Lots of nationalities can get visas on arrival. You should check it out.

I think you need to do a little bit more research on the destinations. There are amazing spots like the Similan islands Thailand, Sipadan in Malaysia, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Lembeh in Indonesia. Really the list is endless and far superior to anything in the Caribbean. This is a good starting point for information: Dive Destinations

Once you have experienced diving in South East Asia...nowhere else will do!

Good luck

Hello..try to consider Siquijor Island,Apo Island, El NIdo and Coron Palawan and Bohol Philippines.

Hey guys,

i am new here...about to leave to Bali...anyone can recommend me what to do and what not to do on my first scuba diving trip especially in Bali. Has anyone been to Bali?
I would appreciate you guys sharing your experience with me, cause I am really new to this...)

Take a look at this wonderful pic, reminds me of Nemo.)
Wow, can´t wait to start diving....

Photos by iaquatic - Bali - Jepun - 5 Sep 2009

Sulawesi!!!! Indonesia.

Go to Lembeh Straights.... fantastic, out of this world, changed a lot about how I look at things. While there, you can go to Bunnaken as well. Complete opposite (wall dives), but wonderful viz and many species. Both sides can be done in one trip, but I think Lembeh is fantastic.

And then, there is Komodo, Indonesia. Mmmmmm... can I come?

If you haven't been to the Philippines, you should go: there is excellent diving there (anilao, sabang, malapascua).
Also note that high season starts in october till april.
The food is no as good as in thailand.
Other places to consider: Lembeh and Sipadan.

I'd suggest the Manado area too, based on your criteria. You have a wide variety of choices on the diving, spending and alternatives to diving issues considering Manado town, Bunakan, Lembeh, Gangga, Bangka. I don't know about visas for Columbians in Indonesia.

Lembeh! Lembeh!!!!

I'm not sure what realtionship Columbia has with Indo, either, but I know it was very easy to get my visa (and the mates I was with.. English, Malay, and French) upon arrival in Manado. They have it fairly easy. Window one. Pay. Next to window one. ATM. Window two. Pick up Visa. good for 30 days.

I LOVED Indo. Going back in a few months to Komodo, I hope.

Back
Top Bottom