Looking for input on Dry Suit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USIA

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of redesigning the pockets on USIA Dry Suits and I'm looking for input from fellow dry suit divers as to what they like about some pockets and what they don't like about others. Do you like zippered pockets, or Cargo pockets? Drain holes or Mesh? Velcro or clips. Here is your chance to have serious input on a manufacturer's dry suit designs. We are always looking for ways to improve our products to better fit today's divers.

I like drysuit pockets that stay firmly affixed to the drysuit. DUI did a great job of putting the pockets on my cf200 and I did a great job putting pockets on one of my Andy's. An un-named dive shop did a horrible job of putting pockets on my other Andy's.

So, first order of importance... the pockets shouldn't peel off!

I like the cargo pocket with velcro. No zipper to jam. I like two grommeted drain holes in the bottom. I currently clip things off to a loop of bungee but recently saw a pocket that had a D-ring at the top... I liked the idea. At the top is important.

I personally like the velcro cargo pockets that came on my Diving concepts Ultraflex Pro. There are two grommets on the top front and back of the pocket for threading bungee through to clip my goodies too and velcro flat when not in use or used for wet notes. A matter of fact they are identical to these http://www.dive-xtras.com/ look under x-pocket then specs

I have one of each. I really don't like the neoprene zippered one at all. It's bulky and sticks out even when empty. The zipper is plastic and so far has never jammed, but it's a bit trickier to manipulate than the velcro flap on the other pocket.

The zippered one was installed by DC and the velcro one was installed by me. They're both stuck on just fine.

I glued a cargo pocket w/velcro on my USIA, works for me.

BTW, love the suit! I'm surprised that I don't see more of them.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the term "Molle" system. It is used by the military and Law enforcement on bags and vests. We've experiemented with this type of system on the legs where you can attach and detach pockets using "Molle" Clips. That way if you are in an area where you have a lot of things to snag on, you can take off your pockets. If you want a knife pocket, you can attach or detach as needed. It's new and I'm curious if this is something sport divers would be interested in. Also, the guy who designed the Halycon pockets has offered to do the same for us. Any opinions on the Halycon's?

USIA:
Any opinions on the Halycon's?

I purchased fifthd pockets for my last drysuit and sent everything off to superior drysuit repair to be sewed on. When I checked into the halcyon pockets they were terribly more expensive than the fifthd versions and smaller to boot.

The modular system is very interesting although I have no idea how well it would go over for drysuiits. We used modular tactical vests my first year with swat. It was handy to arrange your gear in the position where it best suited you but was short lived as we streamlined our gear to better suit our missions to eliminate some bulk. Sort of like DIR swat i guess. Me personally I love my current drysuit pockets as they are big enough to carry all of my goodies and velcro flat for smaller items or loads. My fifthd pockets on my former drysuit didn't have that option.

We are already aware of the DIR requirements for pockets but will be interesting to see how others feel about modular drysuit pockets. Just be sure you make a mounting system where the pockets are firmly and securely attached so they dont fall off, that would bite :D

Velcro is by far preferred over zippers due to the ease of opening and closing, and lack of possible jamming.

Cargo style would be my personnal choice.

Mesh for drainage does not seem to stand up, so grommet protected holes are preferred.

A “D” ring on the inside of the pocket, just below the lip would be a nice addition. One of my dry suits has D rings on the outside of the pocket, just below the lip, and it is used to clip off most items I stow. But if it were inside I feel it would lessen any potential snagging possibility.

Make sure they are large enough to hold a spare mask without straining to get it inside.

Hope this is helpful.

I've got a Cargo pocket that measures 12"x8"x3" with velcro closure, two grommets on the bottom, one grommet at the top of the pocket front and back sides,and is big enough to put a drygloved hand inside on the surface. Valcro vs zipper, no contest, in cold water zippers are a giant pain in the *** cause we all wear big bulky gloves in the water to try to keep our hands from freezing. While we have a manufacturer here can I ask a stupid question, why do the majority of dive equipment manufacturers design the bulk of gear for use in warm water. I relize that there are more warm water divers then cold water divers, but isn't there any kind of market out there making gear with cold water divers in mind? Molle system looks interesting though, but I'm not sure how useful it would be to sport divers, it looks a little more complicated then what it would be worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom