Looking for LDS in Newport Beach Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I echo the sentiments of folks that recommended Laguna Sea Sports. Since Gord and Tammy are from Canada, you should have a lot in common. The store sits just above Shaw's Cove, which is a great beach diving site ... the only shop I know of that is steps away from the beach, which becomes important as you sit in their heated pool between dives on cold winter days! The shop, frankly, isn't much to look at but the folks are friendly and will give you your money's worth. As for the quality of their instructors ... Headhunter's comment has me blushing!

If you want to DM with Naui, go to Laguna Sea Sports. If you want to go PADI, go to Liburdis. They have a GREAT Instructor there who is very patient, knowledgeable, and doesn't push equipment on you...ME!

Did I mention humble and 1/2 Canadian?

Or you can save some money by going to me direct....:) and we could/would still work out of Liburdis.

Otter:
If you want to DM with Naui, go to Laguna Sea Sports. If you want to go PADI, go to Liburidis. They have a GREAT Instructor there who is very patient, knowledgeable, and doesn't push equipment on you...ME!

Did I mention humble and 1/2 Canadian?

Or you can save some money by going to me direct....:) and we could/would still work out of Liburidis.
I recommend you go with the Otter dude. Craig really is a great instructor, and he's not paying me to say any of this (but I'm open to payoffs Craig :). I did my OW and AOW with him, and am getting ready to do Rescue as well. A close friend of mine recently did OW/AOW with Craig too. And, you get the added bonus that he's a big cheese Scubaboard moderator :). I suggest taking recommendations on instructors by first and last name, not by dive shop. I think it's the one on one relationship you have with the instructor that makes or breaks the training, regardless of where they work out of. Oh yeah - go direct (like Craig suggests). You'll save $ without the middleman.

Just my humble opinion....Good Luck.
Kevin

Thanks Kevin.....the check is in the mail :wink:

I thought Gord had a problem with the previous NAUI local rep and he cut ties with them and he now does business with SDI/TDI. Can anyone confirm this rumor mill?

Hey Lexy, I'm dying to get back into hockey but for now, I have a couple of Easton Z Bubble 85 flex sticks if you are interested.

I heard that the Naui relationship had been 'repaired'.

I have to also recommend Liburdi's in Costa Mesa, they have a very helpful knowledgable staff that has never given me any problems. I went there when I lived in Irvine, and now that I'm a little further north they're my dive shop of choice and I'm 150 miles away from there now.

I also had good experiences the few times I've been to Laguna Sea Sports too.
Can't go wrong with either shop.

Lexy:
I can highly recommend Liburdi's - over in Costa Mesa and easy to get to. Their instructors are very knowledgable, accessible and just super cool. The folks in the store have a true passion for diving and underwater photography/videography. You can take your time and they REALLY listen. I can't say enough good things about the staff (all divers) and the instructors.

As far as getting experience in the pacific --- dive, dive and hey dive. Shore diving is a unique experience in Laguna. Bring your snorkle b/c there's a bit of surface swim time.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the folks in the SoCal section are friendly, helpful and happy to answer questions. I hope you'll come diving with us all!

Anyhow - stay warm in Toronto. Must be kinda boring with the Leafs playing!! I'm jonzin for NHL hockey too... So if you need hockey info -> just let me know too (I'm hockey freak& also player over here).

Hey Lexy,

I used to live in Costa Mesa. Liburdi's, that's on Bristol right? As far as hockey goes.... I heard Wayne Gretzky saying he's afraid that not only will this season be lost but possibly next as well.

Yep, friendliest people in the world in SoCal..one of the main reasons I'm moving back permanently!! ; ) Looking forward to blowing bubbles with you all!!

Here in Toronto it is quite sad....the local news casts are starting to feature pee-wee games on their telecasts....talked about being hockey starved! I play too and did so when I was in Costa Mesa. I played up at Westminster Ice.
(http://www.westminsterice.com/) They are always looking for new players for pickup games when you need a fix!

scubacalifornia:
I suggest taking recommendations on instructors by first and last name, not by dive shop. I think it's the one on one relationship you have with the instructor that makes or breaks the training, regardless of where they work out of.
I agree with scubacalifornia that a good instructor will make all the difference. For my DM I plan on an interview + asking to tag along for a day with one of his/her Advanced or Resuce classes.

Aaron

abrown203:
I agree with scubacalifornia that a good instructor will make all the difference. For my DM I plan on an interview + asking to tag along for a day with one of his/her Advanced or Resuce classes.

Aaron

Hey Guys,

I completely agree! Its the instructor first. And by the looks of it Craig is sending out allot of checks :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom