Looking for Liveaboard Advice - Cairns in July 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Ignore this, too - sorry, just had to get five posts so I could post the itineraries. I understand the reason you'd want to have the board set like this to keep spammers out, but it turned me into a spammer! The irony...)

Damselfish: Do you have any more comments on Taka you'd like to share? I'm an information hound, so anything you have to add will be of interest.

I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't also post something to the Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands board. If people aren't about to take a liveaboard they might not be reading this forum. Anyone want to warn a newbie if it's considered rude here to crosspost or post something pointing people this thread? Thanks.
It's usually best to make only one thread and not crosspost. Otherwise there are a zillion similar threads with the same info and conversations going on and it gets even harder to find things later. Crossposts may be against the rules, or at least annoying and will probably be merged anyway if someone spots them. I think most people read the board by seeing what shows up under new posts and maybe their subscribed threads, and don't read the board forum by forum unless they have a special reason or maybe specify the forum in a search.

If you're not getting as many responses as you would like, it's because a lot fewer people on this board have been on these boats in Australia compared to say, having been to Cozumel or Bonaire. Not because people aren't seeing your thread.

As far as TAKA, I wrote a trip report here -
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/australia/260693-taka-review-may-08-a.html

A couple other useful threads -
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/australia/260914-spirit-freedom-taka.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/australia/258139-taka-dive-liveaboard-australia.html

And some amusing reading -
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/australia/274811-fawlty-tours.html

Those were some really good threads you picked, Damselfish. Couldn't have found better references. Your information is GREATLY appreciated. You may have just single-handedly made our trip far more enjoyable.

Definitely looking at Spirit of Freedom, and damn the extra couple hundred bucks!

Great, now after all this, it looks like Spirit of Freedom is probably booked up for the 20th of July! I REALLY won't be looking forward to going on TAKA after what I've read. And I'm afraid Mike Ball might be totally out of our budget unless we totally go with the lowest tier of cabins. Normally not as big of a deal on cabin amenities but for our honeymoon it might be a bit of a downer. And that's even assuming Mike Ball has any spots left! Sounds like the word is out on SoF and it fills up appropriately.

:sad:

Great news, everyone!

Looks like some spots opened up on the SoF (or were already open but the one site I was using that had an availability engine just didn't know they were open yet) and I booked them!

Woo hoo! The future wife and I are going to come back broke, but I'm so incredibly pumped that I think it'll be worth it.

And just had my first scuba class today. Great instructor and get this - his first "real" scuba experience was also a liveaboard on the GBR shortly after taking a class for the first time and getting certified. Must be a sign. :D

The ribbin reefs to lizard island are the best diving ..the freedom boat( 1st choice) and mike ball boats would be the 2 best boats set ups and easiest to get along with.
I think think one of them goes up the ribbons to lizard island then has a low level flight back a few days later. Leaving port douglas is a good option rather than cairns.
Some nice reef patches around cairns but the ribbons is much better and will be more of an adventure to remember. ...steves bommie..pixie pinacle.. Cod hole..etc , etc.

You won't be disappointed with SoF. I also love Steve's Bommie and Pixie Pinnacle! I think my faves were definitely the Cod Feed and Shark Feed though! Just amazing!

Back
Top Bottom