Looking for new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Since my last computer (a Suunto Vyper) gave up, I'm looking for a new one.

It needs to have:
-Nitrox
-the ability to download logs to my mac
-backlight

I have made a shortlist for a few that looked good:
Cressi Giotto
Mares Quad
Deepblu Cosmiq

My local dive centre only has the Mares Quad, only it is almost 400 euro (without a cable).
I have used the Quad while in TODI, it looked very easy to use, only the price... I'm not really sure if it's worth it...

How about Oceanic Geo 2.0? The cable is extra, but I download to my Mac without issue.

The manual can be difficult, but there is an online class through the DiveNav website that is very helpful. It was USD $8. Once you know how to use it, pretty good interface. Cable is about USD $100 but after using the Geo for a few months without the cable, I finally bought it. Love being able to see my dive profiles.

It's not too big. Comes with a strap extender for thicker exposure suits. Less conservative that the Suunto computers. The cost is somewhere around USD $400, but watch for specials. The backlight is operated by a button. It does not stay on all the time. You can easily replace the battery yourself.

Not sure how often you do multiple dives on consecutive days, but if it happens somewhat regularly the algorithm that the computer uses is something that you should pay close attention to. If you never ever pushed NDLs with your Suunto, you may not need to worry. The (fairly liberal) dual algorithms on the Oceanic computers are one reason they're recommended so often on this board.

From what I've read, those that have used it have said the Deepblu is a good computer with an algorithm that is entirely too conservative.

Many many threads on this topic in this subforum.

I've been using an Oceanic Atom 3.0 for the last couple of years. It is basically the Geo 2.0 with wireless AI added. Being pretty much the same, I'd say the Geo 2.0 is a really good computer. I would not get the Cressi or the Cosmiq, as they would be too conservative for me.

I don't know much about the Mares Quad other than it looks really big and it doesn't seem to use that additional size to any real advantage. For the same price or less, I would definitely get the Geo.

I have 2 wristwatch style computers. I replaced the straps on both of them with these:

NITROX-17

With this style of strap, if one of the strap pins breaks, you don't lose the computer.

With any of them, if you call LeisurePro on the phone, there is a good chance you can get it for a lower price than what it says on their website. Or send them an email.

I know it's not on your list, but the Shearwater Perdix should always be considered, even if you're not looking for the technical aspects. It's recreational mode is simple and reliable.

One issue: If you plan on doing liveaboard/ diving, you'll notice that on repeated dives various computers give different, material, results for NDL. I noticed this on a trip to Truk. Lots of people who were recreational divers, were crossing into deco because of the multiple dives and profiles there (this is another whole different controversy covered extensively in threads here on SB--search "lite deco"). We were doing technical profiles on trimix with 80% deco, they were diving nitrox.

Some "recreational" computers were giving divers wild deco obligations (sometimes 40-50 min. more than others) for exceeding the NDL by a few minutes. This is where you want to have a computer/algorithm that is trustworthy, so there is no question about what to do if you find yourself in that situation. The problem at the time was that people were following the "bent" computer deco obligations until they thought it was "good enough" (because the computers were so conservative on deco after busting the NDL) and getting out of the water early. And, yes, some got skin bends.

Also, reliability of the actual computer should not be overlooked. On that one trip, there were 2 computers that completely failed and 3 others that had to be reset by 24 hr SI. I was loaning out my "backup, backup" computers to people. Not something i would ever want to deal with on a trip like that.

For the price you can get them now, I would not look past the Petrel 2. Excellent computer that is built like a tank and hits all your points of interest, not to mention very easy to change batteries. I just sold mine a week ago for $550 in order to get the Perdix AI. For that price point it is the best computer you will find.

x 2 on the Shearwater Petrel2. you can find a used one at a great price because people want the Perdix AL now.

@HighVoltage

See Oceanic vs Aqualung for more discussion on DSAT and PZ+ (Oceanic dual algorithm) decompression algorithms.

Cressi and Mares use versions of RGBM, generally considered to be relatively conservative. Deepblu uses a very conservative proprietary version of Buhlmann ZH-L16C. These have been discussed extensively in other "looking for a dive computer" threads

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom