looking for new strobes strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigfrog23

Reaction score
i need new strobes i have 2 sea and sea ys-120 and they are not bright enough . any suggestions on what to get. my price rang is form 900 to 1200. want to replace one of them at a time. need something with a lot of power.

Agree the Inon strobes are very good, the Z-240 is in your price range. They are very full featured, small, and light. I use two Z-240's.

I don't think the Ike125's are an improvement in light output over the ys120. The 120 is quite a bit more powerful.
As suggested, the Inons are a good choice, or Ikelite 200's, or the newly released S&S 250's.

The equivalent Hartenburgerto the S&S 250 (for example) is more than twice as expensive, it weighs more than double, and based on claims by the manufacturers (because I haven't used either) the HBs have a smaller angle of coverage but equal light output. Further, the S&S offers more flashes per recharge cycle, and has more manual settings. I'm not sure how the Hartenburgers are better, unless it's all about looks? :D

i am leaning towards a set of ikelite 200 because Aquatica offers bulkheads from ikelite so that i can use full TTL vs. sea and sea or hartenberger strobes which only offer manual modes. does any one have any experience with the hartenberger strobe they just seem a little over priced for what they offer although they look goooooooood:D. i went into backscatter the other day and they had the ike 200s on display they are a really nice strobes i like them a lot any one els have these strobe and do you like them or not and why? they did not have any of the new sea and sea ys-250s in stock they did not know when they would get any of them said that it might be several months i don't know if i want to wait several months just to look at them and then decide.

hartenberger for the looks?
then i would choose subtronic - but i don't like their batterie set-up. either in the strobe housing or in the arm. both are not removable.

hartenberger has ttl. at least most of my shoots are in ttl (analog) ittl is also available.
it even has two settings. ttl with max. output or reduced output at about a third of nominal rating.

standard beam comes at 95° 60 and 120° also available? i shoot the standard 95 deg. no prob so far.

yes, they are big and heavy but no neg. buoyancy. also travelling by air, removing the cellpack is very easy.

i shoot approx. 150 pics per charge. the pilotlight will last for approx. 1 hour.

don't buy the 625 for a longer shooting range. it works only in gin clear water. short recycle time is the main aim for the 625.

still some money left? buy also hartenberger's strobarms (hollow) due to the fact that they add to the buoyoncy me rig is almost neutral in the water. on land its a different story

bigfrog23:
i am leaning towards a set of ikelite 200 because Aquatica offers bulkheads from ikelite so that i can use full TTL vs. sea and sea or hartenberger strobes which only offer manual modes. does any one have any experience with the hartenberger strobe they just seem a little over priced for what they offer although they look goooooooood:D. i went into backscatter the other day and they had the ike 200s on display they are a really nice strobes i like them a lot any one els have these strobe and do you like them or not and why? they did not have any of the new sea and sea ys-250s in stock they did not know when they would get any of them said that it might be several months i don't know if i want to wait several months just to look at them and then decide.
Ryan from reefphoto wrote up a short review of the S&S 250's at wetpixel.

YS-250 throw a tighter beam than my beloved DS-200 do. This is a disadvantage for me, as I never shoot the 200 with power robbing diffusers. YS-250 are cooler, too, but not enough to be a problem.

The strobe market is crowded with excellent options, and this is another one. Its competition includes the DS-200 and several varieties of European Exotica, and while it holds its own, it doesn't really beat them in any area.
Complete thread can be found here.

bigfrog23:
i need new strobes i have 2 sea and sea ys-120 and they are not bright enough . any suggestions on what to get. my price rang is form 900 to 1200. want to replace one of them at a time. need something with a lot of power.

Try opening up on the aperture then increase the shutter speed to balance the background light and get closer to the subject. You will get less backscatter as a bonus when you get closer. Also aim the strobe directly at the subject. Dual YS-120 is more than enough to light up an U/W subject.

Back
Top Bottom