looking for new strobes strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f3nikon:
Try opening up on the aperture then increase the shutter speed to balance the background light and get closer to the subject. You will get less backscatter as a bonus when you get closer. Also aim the strobe directly at the subject. Dual YS-120 is more than enough to light up an U/W subject.

hey good to see you posting F3! Why don't you post some of your pics? As much advice as you give out, your images must be fantastic, and I for one would love to see them! :blinking:

_Bella_:
hey good to see you posting F3! Why don't you post some of your pics? As much advice as you give out, your images must be fantastic, and I for one would love to see them! :blinking:

Hey will do coming soon (digital images)... I just need to add water! but if I post any U/W pictures or not does this make my advice technically incorrect? The principles that I speak of, I did not make up, they are the simple laws of physics (light dropping off with increased distance) applied to U/W photography.

Many of the "fantastic" images I see are not really due to the skill of the photographer but because most are from the "fantastic" exotic locations and the exotic subjects that many folks have not seen before or like myself have no access to these locations at the present time.

When compared the land Photography there only a very few amount of U/W images I have seen that even comes close to land shots in the terms of composition, exposure, focus, color sat. etc.

Plus the fact that you stated this:

"I don't think the Ike125's are an improvement in light output over the ys120. The 120 is quite a bit more powerful."

I know for a fact that the DS-125 can easily OVER expose an image even at the smaller f stops...and the YS-120 is much more powerful as you stated?

i am shooting at F3.5 to F5.6 with a canon 10-22mm and though there is enough light most of the time there are time were i need a bit more light. i usually will use one ys120 with a ys-90dx when shooting macro because it is too much light. one thing that bothers me more than not having enough power from time to time is not being able to fine tune the power out put of the ys-120 strobes like i can with the ys-90dx. i did get to play with a set of ys-250 today and they are great i like them better than the DS-200 and have all the retina burning power of the ys-350s:14: with the fine adjustment capabilities of the YS-90dx and the ys110s. they also use a circular tube which creates a better light pattern and a more appealing light drop off. they are really great strobes at this point it is between the Sea and sea ys-250s and Ikelite DS 200.

I know for a fact that the DS-125 can easily OVER expose an image even at the smaller f stops...and the YS-120 is much more powerful as you stated?

Based on my personal experience with both strobes, yes. :)

Back
Top Bottom