Looking for night diving light + focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking for a very inexpensive light to attach to my strobe arm so when I shoot video with my Canon A570IS I can maybe get a little better color.

Those of you who use the little Fantasea 6036, is it bright enough to use during the day to just make colors appear a little better? I'd be using it in shallowish water in the Florida Keys. Plenty of light there but my videos tend to be a little greenish.

Thanks!
Your best bet is to color balance your videos with either internal white-balance or a red filter.
I really don't think nano's will help much to lighten up the reefs in the daytime for video unless you are very close and then you will need to color balance for it's output to avoid getting everything too red.

After reading more about the nano today, I figured as much. Not enough lumens. BUT if it's bright enough for an aiming light, I'll still probably get one and attach it to my strobe somehow to help aim it. The price is right.

Thanks for your input!

Just got the nano and hardware today. Decided it wasn't enough light for me, and am sending it back.

I then ordered a BigBlue 1x5 with some mounting hardware.

Plus, it only cost me about 40bucks more, for ALOT more light from what Jack at Optical Ocean Sales told me. He's a great guy, with TONS of knowledge.

Last edited:
I then ordered a BigBlue 1x5 with some mounting hardware.

Plus, it only cost me about 40bucks more, for ALOT more light from what Jack at Optical Ocean Sales told me. He's a great guy, with TONS of knowledge.
That's about half the price it is advertized on his website???
If you got the BigBlue 1x5 for $80 you got a fantastic deal.

Likely too much light and little higher cost for the original poster, but I love my combo dive light / video light for its price, and more for its light output (1750 Lumens) - the Darkbuster 24 watt HID for less than 400 bucks on scubatoys.com. Lithium Ion rechargeable with 3 hrs burn time per charge - never had a problem with it.

No that was not a typo - 1750 Lumens - more than 3X the light output of any light in its cost range.

I made a hands free (goodman style) handle for it that works great too - see below

24w%20hid%20with%20ghandle.jpg

That's about half the price it is advertized on his website???
If you got the BigBlue 1x5 for $80 you got a fantastic deal.

No I meant 40 bucks than what I was spending with the hardware before.
My original order was the fantasea nano, along with a clamp and some ball ends to mount it up to the other handle on my ikelite dual handle.

Because the BigBlue comes with a ball mount stud, it saved me 30 bucks from the get go, so all together my orginal order was 140ish, where as my new order was 180, for a MUCH bigger light.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the auto-shut off time is 3sec. that seems rather long to be underwater without any light.

I'm looking into the fisheye lights, they seem pretty good. Does anyone else have anything to say about them? I know they cost a little bit more that some, but quality is everything and I was wondering if they are worth it.

I'm looking into the fisheye lights, they seem pretty good. Does anyone else have anything to say about them? I know they cost a little bit more that some, but quality is everything and I was wondering if they are worth it.

I have the Fisheye 500 LED light and love it. Great even light and takes AA batteries. Batteries only last about 1 dive at full power however. Other than that it is a great light.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom