Looking for opinions on the Seaquest Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to move from a jacket to a back-inflated. Anyone have any comments, good or bad, on the Balance?

And please, no suggestions of a Bp/W. Not interested in that just yet :)

Paco

I have just bought the balance at the weekend. I haven't had the chancve to dive it yet, that will happen this sunday, i am in the philippines for a 10 day holiday.:D

The bc is very well made and the fit is very good. I will let you know how it dives after my holiday.

Backspin

For what it's worth from a new diver, I have 5 dives on mine and like it a lot more then the jacket style I used while getting my cert.

For what it's worth from a new diver, I have 5 dives on mine and like it a lot more then the jacket style I used while getting my cert.

My husband owns one and loves it. I like the fact that it has trim pockets, so you can move some weight up onto your back to make a horizontal posture easier to achieve.

(BTW, my husband owns the Balance and a BP/W, and says they dive very similarly. But he dives the BP/W these days . . . )

I used to like mine a lot, until I went bp/w for everyday diving and a Black Diamond for teaching. Once I started using something other than the Balance, I was able to actually compare it to other options.

Good things about the Balance:
1. It's fairly compact
2. It's back-inflate
3. It's built very well

Less than wonderful Balance attributes:
1. The pockets are useless
2. Any tank heavier than a standard AL80 will move the thing around and screw up your trim

Overall, it's a great BC as far as trim and quality. The Surelock weight system rocks...I've never lost a pouch in 200+ dives.

I have a Balance and I really like it. I dive it with a Steel 120 and dont have any issues with it. I made some DIY mods to make the BCD more practical for the type of diving that I do (added some extra d-rings, a lift bag holder, etc). Also this is a good BCD to get the feel for how a BP works so if you ever switch it will make the learning curve much smaller.

Back
Top Bottom