Looking for our next trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Most of our diving is in a quarry in Illinois or the Florida Keys and we just got back from Curaçao. We really enjoyed the Coral, walls but missed the bigger things like sharks, rays, turtles and even just the bigger fish. Is there a destination in the Caribbean or Mexico that combines those 2 things. Water needs to be 80 degrees plus also.

I'll spread the net a little wider in area. With your dive count, I don't think the shark feeding dives out of Jupiter, FL, are a good idea yet (at least when tiger sharks are likely to appear).

You didn't mention whether a liveaboard would be an option for you. That might open up some things.

1.) Little Cayman (and I would think Cayman Brac) might have some reef sharks; some reef sharks diving the Caymans via liveaboard (ditto the outer atolls of Belize via liveaboard). Little Cayman also had Nassau grouper that were quite approachable. I wouldn't call it a big animal destination, but very nice for coral reef, and perhaps enough rays, reef and nurse sharks, big grouper and sea turtles to please you.
Cayman Aggressor IV May 2016 - Trip Report - Cayman Aggressor IV Trip May 2016
Sun Dancer 2 (Belize) May 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ving-belize-via-sun-dancer-2-may-2nd-9th.html

2.) Morehead City, North Carolina - seasonal but a good chance to get close to fairly big, scary looking sharks without baiting, that are highly unlikely to harm anyone (assuming you don't grab one or something similarly idiotic). You need AOW and nitrox, and dives are deep and short, it's wrecks not reefs, but scores on big animals.
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

3.) Jupiter, Florida - the goliath grouper aggregation in fall or lemon shark aggregation in winter. Not a place I'd go if coral reef was my end-all, be-all, but for really big grouper and/or some fairly big (but usually harmless) sharks, a good option.
Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

4.) Cozumel, Mexico - not a 'big animal' destination, but with nurse sharks, green morays, some sea turtles, eagle rays, occasionally big grouper, I'd say it's an excellent Caribbean destination with a decent array of 'medium' animals.
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

But if your attitude is 'go big or go home,' and you can do without lush coral reef walls, Jupiter or North Carolina rock. Plus you may see some things a bit different than you're used to farther south.

I'll spread the net a little wider in area. With your dive count, I don't think the shark feeding dives out of Jupiter, FL, are a good idea yet (at least when tiger sharks are likely to appear).

You didn't mention whether a liveaboard would be an option for you. That might open up some things.

1.) Little Cayman (and I would think Cayman Brac) might have some reef sharks; some reef sharks diving the Caymans via liveaboard (ditto the outer atolls of Belize via liveaboard). Little Cayman also had Nassau grouper that were quite approachable. I wouldn't call it a big animal destination, but very nice for coral reef, and perhaps enough rays, reef and nurse sharks, big grouper and sea turtles to please you.
Cayman Aggressor IV May 2016 - Trip Report - Cayman Aggressor IV Trip May 2016
Sun Dancer 2 (Belize) May 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ving-belize-via-sun-dancer-2-may-2nd-9th.html

2.) Morehead City, North Carolina - seasonal but a good chance to get close to fairly big, scary looking sharks without baiting, that are highly unlikely to harm anyone (assuming you don't grab one or something similarly idiotic). You need AOW and nitrox, and dives are deep and short, it's wrecks not reefs, but scores on big animals.
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

3.) Jupiter, Florida - the goliath grouper aggregation in fall or lemon shark aggregation in winter. Not a place I'd go if coral reef was my end-all, be-all, but for really big grouper and/or some fairly big (but usually harmless) sharks, a good option.
Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

4.) Cozumel, Mexico - not a 'big animal' destination, but with nurse sharks, green morays, some sea turtles, eagle rays, occasionally big grouper, I'd say it's an excellent Caribbean destination with a decent array of 'medium' animals.
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

But if your attitude is 'go big or go home,' and you can do without lush coral reef walls, Jupiter or North Carolina rock. Plus you may see some things a bit different than you're used to farther south.
We have somewhere in the neighborhood of a 125 dives with AOW and nitrox. Its not go big or go home but it's nice to have some nurse sharks and other things in the mix. Liveaboards are probably not in the equation at the moment but hopefully some day. From your description of Coz that is the kind of thing we are looking for.

Well.... if your passports are ready and you can get packed and leave with a couple days then this is a great deal....

We have somewhere in the neighborhood of a 125 dives with AOW and nitrox.
Ah, that changes things. Your profile says 0-24 dives. In that case, the shark feed dives out of Jupiter, FL, are a possibility. Be aware the practice is very controversial. I personally am okay with it, on the condition it's a practice of adult exercising informed consent. I do recommend people get some experience building up to it; that's why I went to North Carolina. Going from Caribbean reef sharks straight to tiger sharks would've been, as they say, 'too rich for my blood.'

Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

I've never been to Cabo San Lucus, Cabo Pulmo, etc..., and yet those seem to get press for bigger fish. IIRC, water temp.s are seasonal. Have you read any of the trip reports regarding Cabo San Lucas, Cabo Pulmo, etc...? Trevor JC Brown provided a guide in 2017.

Richard.

Fish Fish Fish

Belize at Turneffe Atoll is pretty good. I have been to Turneffe Island Resort.

Jupiter is famous for big fish and sharks. I have seen schooling Goliath grouper there and that is impressive. You also have the Blue Heron Bridge close by but NO CORALS.

Key Largo has good fish populations especially in Pennekamp.

The fish populations at Grand Turk are pretty good.

The best combination of grouper, visibility, turtles and coral are Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. I prefer the Brac.

And Cozumel is decent but I don’t think it is as good as those above.

Check out Socorro Island. The Revillagigedo Islands are out in the Pacific and you will not find coral reefs. But you will get the big animal encounters. It is a top destination for sharks (wahle sharks, hammerheads, 30+ species), manta rays and if you go in the right time even diving with humpback whales is in it!

If you are not up for a Liveaboard yet, La Paz in Mexico is a great Resort location. Going in the right months you can encounter hammerheads, whale sharks, mobulas, orcas (not so much diving though) and the highlight the sea lions.

Second the recommendation for Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. In Brac you also can get 4 foot Tarpon swimming in small groups. Two other locations that are "off the beaten path". San Salvador has tons of reef sharks, groupers, sting rays and, if lucky hammerheads. It also has some of the best underwater architecture of coral with very cool swim throughs. The downside: only two places to stay, Riding Rock and a Club Med. Absolutely no town so nothing to do but dive or hang out at the pool (we stayed at Riding Rock). Also, sometimes ownership isn't responsive...not rude or mean, just doesn't always return emails.
Saba also has lots of reef sharks and other "bigger" stuff, with nice reefs. Downside: a little harder to get to, fly through St. Martin and land at the smallest runway I'd ever seen. Take off and landing are thrilling. Also, watch your depth as there are pinnacle dives that are at 115-120 feet. You can avoid those if that's not your cup of tea. One is plenty, so don't use up your bottom time doing multiple dives on the pinnacles because they mostly look the same. The town is great with wonderful restaurant choices. Use Sea Saba to arrange the trip. Very good dive operation.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom