looking for recommendation about Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathycalg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi...my husband and I will be in Maui this coming winter. We're certified AOW..but haven't done any diving for almost 2 years. We want to do a refresher course..any recommendations for a good dive shop, in the Ma'alea (sp?) harbour area?
Thanks,
Cathy

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2015 at 11:21 AM ----------

ooops...spelling error in the title of my post..only one "c" in recommendation....

The main shop near the Ma alaea Harbor is Maui Dive Shop--which isn't a favorite of mine for dives or instruction. The Maui Diamond II also goes out of that Harbor, and that boat is chartered by the Maui Dreams Dive shop--which has really good instruction and charters (nice boat). They also had GREAT rental gear when we were last there (not sure if you need it). I think of them as the "locals" shop. The actual dive shop is in Kihei though--so you'd probably need to go thier once to set everything up. All the other operators I know and would reccomend go out of the Kihei Boat Ramp.

I agree with everything posted ^...

Maui DiveShop feeds divers from all their shops to their boat in Ma'alea so it can be a crowded boat also.

Maui Dreams Dive Co./Maui Diamond II limits their load to less than the boat is rated for afaik. They'd be the only boat I'd consider out of Ma'alea.

If you plan to do some shore diving also Maui Dive Shop is pretty convenient since they have about 4-5 locations to trade tanks all up and down the coast.

Call Maui Dreams or Ed Robinsons for a refresher course. You'll also get an introduction to Maui shore diving at the same time, so you can return to the same site later on your own! I always recommend to book some boat dives to be assured you'll be able to dive. There are often swells in the winter that make shore diving impossible, and it would be a shame to go all that way and not dive! We do our boat diving with Ed Robinsons (and have for over 10 years) and I recommend them highly.

When are you going? there may be folks who will be there at the same time you can hook up with for some shore diving.

Just did my last dive in Maui on Nov 3rd with Mike Severns. I usually go with B&B, but the boat was down, and I had wanted to try Mike Severns anyway.
We were VERY happy with them and would go with them again. We went out with 4 divers, one was on his first boat dive after certification.
They were great and we had 2 fantastic dives with Warren. Even dove a site I had never heard of....a WWll tank and landing craft, very nice with tons
of marine life.

I think they would be a good choice for a newer diver.

Russ

Just did my last dive in Maui on Nov 3rd with Mike Severns..... Even dove a site I had never heard of....a WWll tank and landing craft, very nice with tons of marine life.

I am going to have to try his dive op next time I'm in Maui.

Oh, we really like Tank and Landing Craft too! We've seen some pretty rare critters in the Halameda grass, as well as fly overs by both Eagle Rays and Manta Rays. We have also been treated to sightings of Hawaiian Sting Rays there. Good stuff!

We've dived this site numerous times, most recently in July. Always a good dive

Not sure exactly where in Maui you will be staying. I'e never dived the island (or even been to Hawaii) but you might consider SCUBA Luv Maui. I know the owners (Steve & Diana) as they used to be partners in SCUBA Luv here on Catalina

Heading out to Maui later this week - our LDS mentioned temps are warmer than usual due to El Nino... Has anyone who dived Maui in the past couple weeks let me know what kind of temps you were seeing? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom