Looking for suggestions to upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my ageing S400 + WP-DC800 combo with a newer, more feature and function rich model, but as usual, with the different selections out there its hard to do.

The couple models I have been looking at ar the SD800/900 pair and the G7. Obviously there are differences between them all, but based on what I have had and the images it took, they are all improvements.

A little about my photo habits: I am not a gut to sit there for hours playing with the controls and whatnot for the ultimate shot, after all this is for my own enjoyment and pleasure to be able to view some pics afterwards, but on the other hand I would like to be able to take nice shots of the dives (I have managed to learn using the W/B feature underwater quite well on the S400 - which produces some decent shots and have been quite happy with the performance of the S400 in all aspects).

So, to you all Canon gurus, what do you recommend and why?

If you are happy with the lack of controls on the SD, then go for that model - they are great true point & shoots and slip into any bag or pocket so you'll likely use it on land a lot, too.

If you want some control, head for one of the other options. All of them have complete auto settings for those times when you are just out happy snapping.

Have you looked in the Pink Link in my sig? There are a quite a few models listed in there.

Also have a look through the recent posts as there's been some good discussions on various models/brands.

Not many shooters with the G7/similar so there's not much I can point you to here - but check out dpreview.com...they have an active Canon forum, though not a lot of underwater shooters. At least you'll find some info on that (and other models).

If you're looking for a completely capable unit head for the A series - there are quite a few models with a variety of features and MP to pick and choose from. Great cameras for underwater - you can go full auto, shoot a variety of scene modes or hit full manual.

At www.dpreview.com you can compare them side by side.

Given that you are happy with the S400, I'd go for the SD800is. No manual mode, so the photo elite turn their noses up at it, but it's a great little camera, super portable, and you can get some phenomenal shots with it, within the limitations of any automatic camera.

I really want one to add to my arsenal, so perhaps I'm a bit biased. :)

The same questions are being debated here except for the G7, http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=169139
The biggest debate on the G7 is the size, it's obviously larger with it's classic range finder style, is this a factor for you? Yet with the size you do get a better lens, larger elements and wider zoom make a nice lens, and finally the ability to attach an external flash is a nice feature. As you will read in the above thread though, I went with the SD800IS, it has all the features I was looking for in a nice little package I can slip into a pocket.

Back
Top Bottom