Looking for useful DSLR feedback..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i use 120s

they are on half power for macro, no diffusers. i control output with the aperture, with an SLR that is all you need....

The whole multi power thing for strobes (12 settings etc) comes from the introduction of PnS cameras with a max aperture of f10, f8 etc... obviously more strobe power settings are needed then....

On WA stuff i am usually on full power with diffusers.

from time to time i will put diffusers on the strobes on 1/2 power when i am shooting from 10cm away against a white sandy bottom at f22.. (which equals 1/4 power)

I have never needed less than that..

with the 120s you have 4 power settings, full no diffuser, full with diffuser, 1/2 with and 1/2 without....

But thats just me...

I also have Ike 125s and have never used them at less than 1/2 power... i always prefer to up my fstops and gain the DOF

Since I've still got at least two or three weeks before I'll actually have my housing (even more, since I probably won't pay for the expensive shipping option from Germany), I can spare to wait a little longer for either the YS-110 to actually be released, or for stores to start get Z-240s in stock.

I figure that the cost difference between getting a YS-120 and a Z-240 is around 5% of the total cost of what my rig will end up costing. So I might as well go for the more flexible option..

If you're only buying one strobe, the 120 will stand on it's own better as the more powerful strobe. I agree with everyone else, ttl with digital underwater is a tool that is easy to get around and eventually you'll develop manual settings which work for most average subjects.
I use 90DX strobes and would use my 120's more if it weren't for their weight. They get left at home in lieu of a pair of lighter weight 90's.

I don't know any much about Pentax and its lenses but if you are planning to use 100mm and 18-55mm with flat port, I assume that Pentax also has some kinds of cropped sensor. 100mm macro is very useful but I think the 18-55 may not be all that great. It would be ok for a fish portrait but not really wide enough for a real wide angle work.

While a strobe with 12 steps is a bit overkill for dSLR, personally I think 2 power setting is not quite sufficient (despite Mike's added +/-diffuser option). When shooting macro, when I want really narrow DoF, I am usually down to about 1/4 power on my Ikelite DS125 with the diffuser on. A YS 120 won't be as flexible for you when you want to control DoF.

I don't have any experience with Inon Z240 but a few friends are shooting with Z220 and I think it is a bit underpower for some dSLR wide angle work. I think Z240 is a bit better. Personally I prefer Ikelite but at a sacrifice of size and weight over the Inon.

Don't forget that TTL is adjustable too. On Ike housings you can easily bracket when you want to.

ssra30:
I don't know any much about Pentax and its lenses but if you are planning to use 100mm and 18-55mm with flat port, I assume that Pentax also has some kinds of cropped sensor. 100mm macro is very useful but I think the 18-55 may not be all that great. It would be ok for a fish portrait but not really wide enough for a real wide angle work.

The Pentax has a 1.5x crop factor, so yes, 18-55 has a limited wide angle use, which is why I am not forking out for the dome port. There is also a really nice 14mm prime available, with dome port to suit, and I will likely fork out for both of those in the future.

While a strobe with 12 steps is a bit overkill for dSLR, personally I think 2 power setting is not quite sufficient (despite Mike's added +/-diffuser option).

Which is precisely my dilemma. The YS-120 that I have available to me is great value, but I would prefer 3 or 4 manual stops (without using diffuser). I don't know how the YS-120 at full power compares to the Z240. But if it is considerabley more powerful, there is a lot more scope to reduce the output from a more powerful lightsource than there is to increase the output from a less powerful one :)

I don't have any experience with Inon Z240 but a few friends are shooting with Z220 and I think it is a bit underpower for some dSLR wide angle work. I think Z240 is a bit better.

From what I have read, and speaking to a few people, ideally any real wide angle work (eg, when I fork out for the 14mm) will require two strobes anyway...

Ultimately most of the gear you are considering will work just fine - there are always going to be advantages and disadvantages to each piece of gear.

The trick, after eliminating the duds, is to learn to use what you have to the best of your abilities and to the limit of your gear's capabilities. If you then find that you are unable to achieve your goals, sell the offending piece and get something else. :D Shopping is fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom