Looking for your thoughts on being a New England diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot recommend this book highly enough:
https://www.amazon.com/Shore-Diving-Guide-New-England/dp/097629530X

"A Shore Diving Guide to New England" by Jerry Shine. As the book says "Get this book and go diving", it lists hundreds of dive sites up and down the New England coast.

Welcome to New England. We may not have the pretty fish (in fact, some of them are downright ugly!) but there is a thriving dive community here (just try getting a parking spot at Back Beach in Rockport at 7:00 am on a Saturday and you will see what I mean) and the diving is what it is... which is exactly why we dive here

I just wanted to say a big "thank you!" for the responses so far. I'll definitely be looking into the sites/resources/people/ops that you all mentioned.

San Diego has a pretty great ecosystem (my humble opinion), but it is cold at depth (low 50s) and frequently has murky/lower vis conditions. If the move goes down, I expect to be arriving in New England with some drysuit diving experience, which I think will ease the transition.

I'm fine with diving in dark or (reasonably) low vis conditions, but I don't have experience with tricky currents. I'll likely try to buddy up with experienced divers who are willing to share what they know about local conditions and currents.

I live in Jamestown RI and have been New England Diver for 35 years (not as long as After dark, but a while anyway).
I travel to San Diego on Business every couple of years and have done a bit of diving out there as well.
If I can be of any help feel free to email me.
btw if you want to check out some of the things we do, check my friend's website: soundunderwatersurvey.com

I have some family in the Northampton area and when I visit I try to get a few dives in. I think it is one of the most rewarding places to be a diver IF you like cold water diving. Firstly, as other pointed out the Cape Ann area has some amazing shore dives and you could spend a lifetime diving that coast without getting bored. Secondly it puts you in great proximity to the Great Lakes for some serious wreck diving.

I wish I lived there. Good luck!

I live in Jamestown RI and have been New England Diver for 35 years (not as long as After dark, but a while anyway).
I travel to San Diego on Business every couple of years and have done a bit of diving out there as well.
If I can be of any help feel free to email me.
btw if you want to check out some of the things we do, check my friend's website: soundunderwatersurvey.com

^ This old bold diver has packed about 75 years worth of diving into his 35 years!

^ This old bold diver has packed about 75 years worth of diving into his 35 years!
Well, I don't know about the bold, but definitely the Old part! In truth, I can't imagine doing anything else...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom