Looking into First Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WingNutt

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok been scouring others post on these boards for a while regarding liveaboards. Ok here is my plan- I am an apprentice electrician in the union here in Vegas. I will graduate in 3 more years from now. So I told my wife that for a graduation present to myself I am going on a liveaboard (yes without her) with hopefully my buddy. This will be my first liveaboard. I have been diving for just the last year and trying to get underwater every couple of weeks if possible. One particular thread discussed the Blue Hole. It seems as this is a rather advanced dive and the main reason for me considering Belize was stricktly diving the BH among the many other sites Belize has to offer. Here is my need for help. I may or may not be ready for such a dive by then. My greatest depth so far is 104ft but I have room in me for much more, especially after some more experience. My biggest concern is to get as much as I possibly can out of my trip and spend the most time I possibly can underwater. I really want to do more than just the Florida Keys (nuthing wrong with the keys) I just want to get OUT and do something real exotic. Are there other better trips for a first time liveaboard that you would suggest?

Check the South California forum and maybe post there. They have really nice ones there, and you're a cheap flight from LAX.

Some of the best are out in S. Pacific, the airfare is more but once you're there everything is very affordable-Most would agree that the best diving in the world is in Indonesia with Palau neck and neck-I prefer Indo, but like both areas
As far as a Belize L.A. the diving's good but the Blue Hole is not worth the bottom time and I have done it numerous times-don't ask me why
If I had to pick a Carib. L.A. I'd take a good look at the Caymans, especially if you like walls and such, and the viz will be better than Belize. I've done most of them and most several times and if I had to pick JUST one I'd probably go to the Caymans
On another note, we prefer Bonaire to anything in the Carib., landbased or liveaboard, we call it a "Liveaboard on land"

The Belize Aggressor offers a lot of great diving on the atolls, has a great crew, was refit about a year ago, and does the Blue Hole.

I agree with Michael that IndoPacific diving is much better, and I agree that the Blue Hole is a little overrated, but in the Caribbean I prefer Belize to Little Cayman or Bonaire. Which isn't stopping me from going back to Bonaire next week.:D

If the Blue Hole is all you want to do, book an Aggressor trip to Belize. If you have other desires for your diving, figure out what those are and look for a trip that will meet your needs. If you want REAL exotic, definitely the IndoPacific is the way to go. If you're looking for excellent Caribbean diving, there are a lot of choices, both land and liveaboard based.

We loved Belize when were there a few months ago, and it's definitely on our "go back to" list. However, there are folks who come home disappointed in Belize because it's not known for pelagics and larger critters. You'll see LOTS of macro, and the combination of wall and reef on every dive was fabulous, but Belize isn't for everyone.

After some thought about this I guess I should prioritize my desires.
1. I want to swim with a BIG ***** FISH and hopefully get close enough to touch it
2. I am hoping to have a picture if this moment
3. I want to see lots of fish
4. I would like to see a few wrecks
5. warm water destination preferably
6. I will have a camera by then and hopefully nitrox so ship that offers those consessions is a big plus

Then there are the usualls like a good professional company and such, those are givins.
It slowly is looking like Belize may have to be for a later trip.

Belize has wrecks that haven't been devoured by wood worms?! :11:

Metal wrecks are generally of WWII sinkings - including North Carolina or artificially sunk, while wooden wrecks only survive in freshwater - like the St.Lawrence. But Belize will be good for every other possibility you listed, I think. I don't know why, but I was thinking of weekend liveaboards, while you were asking for week long trips.

you going to be around Texas any time soon? Try the Flower Gardens/Stetson Bank. Cheap, no-frills, fun, great diving far offshore. yes, it's weather-dependent. Try www.gulf-diving.com

I went to Belize but did not do the BH, I chose to go and stay at the Manta Resort, we went during Whale shark week and it was awesome!!! I have also stayed at the Little Cayman Beach Resort and it was excellent. I have heard that live aboards in the Caymans are great. I wouldn't schedule my whole dive vacation around the Blue Hole. I am going to Dominica next month, not a live aboard but I will let you know how it is too. Anyone been to Dominica???

WingNutt:
After some thought about this I guess I should prioritize my desires.
1. I want to swim with a BIG ***** FISH and hopefully get close enough to touch it
2. I am hoping to have a picture if this moment
3. I want to see lots of fish
4. I would like to see a few wrecks
5. warm water destination preferably
6. I will have a camera by then and hopefully nitrox so ship that offers those consessions is a big plus.
If big animals/pelagics are what you are looking for, and want to stay close to home for the first stab at this, why don't you try a look at the Sea of Cortez? I believe the Solmar operates out there, and they always talk about their large animal encounters. I have no experience with the area personally, but this just came to mind. You should be able to get a wee bit of data here:D on both the area and the liveaboards that run there. Good luck. Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom