Looking to Buy a Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Se7en's HUD vibrates and was developed by Jeurgensen who made the Hammerhead
the M28 paddle vibrates too iirc, not that I consider them that viable for an assortment of reasons

It could very very easily be argued that a hud should be almost standard equipment for photographers on mCCRs. I love my mccr because I like being in control. But when you throw something like a camera or other intensive work into the mix, we know that complacency can easily creep in.
I grab an eCCR's when I have to do scientific diving work, but photography would be similar. I much prefer to have a unit that can actively sustain a ppO2 if it's functioning normally vs. one that delays decay.

Fathom not compatible with my Meg and none of the cell splitters are terribly reliable. If you ever dive one with haptics you'll realize how good it really is. The Fathom HUD is very bright, but it's far from the only option for safety improvements.

Hate to bring up a dead thread, but your claim that cell splitters are unreliable is certainly an overstatement. And I’m curious what experience led you to make such a bold claim. Properly designed and protected splitter boards are incredibly reliable, there is hardly anything to fail.

I would imagine this stems from a poor design either in the electrical design, or more likely poor implementation of protecting the components from moisture.

So sure, exposed splitter boards with exposed molex wiring harnesses that just have conformal coating probably aren’t the most reliable thing. Nor could I imagine a cell side molex splitter that is exposed being great long term either. But to call out ALL cell splitters as unreliable due to a select few’s poor designs and implementations isn’t a fair claim. The unreliable “reputation” (of which you’re the first person I’ve seen express) is because of other faults.

FYI, I’ll travel anywhere in the world to teach your Optima, KISS, or Liberty Class. (Including Ohio). Any excuse to fly my plane is a good excuse.

I don’t think I agree that your buddies need to be diving your same unit. Your buddies will change. For the first time in 20 years, most of my buddies have moved out of state and/or quit diving. I’m currently trying to build new buddies that can do the dives I’m doing.

Seriously, pick the unit for your mission. Then pick an instructor. Then go to him or bring him to you. DO NOT pick a unit based on what’s available locally. That’s how you end up with a crap unit/training.

Those two particular instructors very much biased towards CCR, especially Mel, (I won't extrapolate because I don't want hate mail). They were both 2 of the instructors that in my head immediately pop up as being in the 10% in cave country that would tell a student CCR all the way. I have my opinions, but it's based on my experience as just a diver, not a diive professional. I think if you asked around this area what people think about going straight into ccr cave, most would likely tell you OC first. At least that's what I've been told when I ask in person. I actually would prefer to do my trimix training on ccr, since most of my triimiix diives will be on ccr and I dive ccr more nowadays. But 2 instructors I have a ton of respect for convinced me OC was the way to go ane their logic made a ton of sense. I think in regular OW tech, a little higher percentage would say it's ok to start on CC as compared to in the cave diving world.
Just happened to see this post ... a year later lol ... So, to clarify, I am not biased towards CCR first and advocate OC first. I think it is important that divers understand the ramifications of gas management errors and the only way you learn that is by actually watching the pressure gauge drop during your dive. When the RB fails, and it will, it is OC skills that will save you and there is no substitute for real experience as opposed to theoretical calculations. You need to KNOW what you can and can't do. That said, properly used, the CCR is a game changer for cave diving safety.

Most of my classes are either OC with a CCR crossover OR now, the hybrid NSSCDS course. I will do CCR only classes but they were with older, more mature divers who only want to take the training and do the occasional mainline dive. I see no problem with that. OTOH, I have refused to do classes with younger divers who did not want to do the Hybrid approach. Classes need to be tailored to the individual.

I am responding here only because I don't believe in CCR only for most divers. Again, there are some exceptions but OC first is clearly the better way and I do not want to inadvertently promote or give credence to a methodology I believe to be sub optimal.

I am responding here only because I don't believe in CCR only for most divers. Again, there are some exceptions but OC first is clearly the better way and I do not want to inadvertently promote or give credence to a methodology I believe to be sub optimal.
Totally agree with this. I did 650+ hours OC on singles, doubles and sidemount. Shallow, deep, ocean, in land, etc. Did SSI AOW and GUE Fundamentals. For very different reasons I never got to do OC Tech training. Last february I started CCR Mod 1, in september i will finisch CCR Mod 2. My OC training and OC experience helped me tremendously with learning to cope with a CCR.

Doing bail out skills feels like coming home to me instead of something scary. Imo you need that OC experience to dive safe with a CCR. If someone asks me if they should go CCR, I tell them: not until you have to and only when your OC skills are top notch.

Having said that, I don't think you need to have vast experience in OC Tech to learn to dive a CCR safe. You learn bail out procedures during CCR training. But that's just my opinion.

Hate to bring up a dead thread, but your claim that cell splitters are unreliable is certainly an overstatement. And I’m curious what experience led you to make such a bold claim. Properly designed and protected splitter boards are incredibly reliable, there is hardly anything to fail.

I would imagine this stems from a poor design either in the electrical design, or more likely poor implementation of protecting the components from moisture.

So sure, exposed splitter boards with exposed molex wiring harnesses that just have conformal coating probably aren’t the most reliable thing. Nor could I imagine a cell side molex splitter that is exposed being great long term either. But to call out ALL cell splitters as unreliable due to a select few’s poor designs and implementations isn’t a fair claim. The unreliable “reputation” (of which you’re the first person I’ve seen express) is because of other faults.
This post aged really well :)

If you're still looking let me know! I have a DiveRite O2ptima I got back in 2019 I'm looking to sell. I got certified as a CCR instructor and planned to make a career out of it until Covid got in the way. In sales now and don't have time to dive it anymore.

If you're still looking let me know! I have a DiveRite O2ptima I got back in 2019 I'm looking to sell. I got certified as a CCR instructor and planned to make a career out of it until Covid got in the way. In sales now and don't have time to dive it anymore.
I can also connect you with a good instructor for both the CCR and cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom