Looking to Buy a Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv no, you can't go to any dealer and purchase the 4-pin connectors, that was the point I was making. Shearwater has a cheaper, more reliable, and actually fit for purpose connector that they are intentionally holding back from the market for reasons unbeknownst to anyone except them. It makes no sense since anyone can buy a Fischer and anyone can buy a DiveCAN, but only the rebreather manufacturers can purchase the 4-pin analog computers.
The CCR side connectors are almost all the same, and Shearwater does not provide that side of the Fischer cables so we can go to a myriad of sources to get those. The link you gave from Revo would be one of them however it doesn't do you any good if you can't get the computer in the first place.

@Marie13 the Petrel 3 is worth the wait. MAJOR safety improvements with the haptic feedback, hold out for that option.

I imagine it’s so people don’t make homemade rebreather with Shearwater electronics in them and end up in a liability mess if someone dies

I imagine it’s so people don’t make homemade rebreather with Shearwater electronics in them and end up in a liability mess if someone dies
If that logic was sound then they wouldn't sell the Fischer cable versions outside of the CCR manufacturers either

If it ships in September, that will be five months since I ordered. I will NOT wait even another month. A week maybe. A month? Nope. Plenty of people have safely dived with a Petrel 2.

Can you actually quantify why haptic feedback would be a MAJOR safety improvement?
Because there's a lot of people running around with single monitors, and generally (or potentially), ones that cannot be seen in a proper whiteout. Less an issue with something like the Fathom HUD, which I can see in situations where I could not see a NERD2 or a Petrel.

If it ships in September, that will be five months since I ordered. I will NOT wait even another month. A week maybe. A month? Nope. Plenty of people have safely dived with a Petrel 2.
Unless it takes the mfg an extra week or two or four...

It's worth the wait.

Because there's a lot of people running around with single monitors, and generally (or potentially), ones that cannot be seen in a proper whiteout. Less an issue with something like the Fathom HUD, which I can see in situations where I could not see a NERD2 or a Petrel.
I would see the addition of a HUD as a MAJOR safety factor. Haptic feedback, MIGHT, end up being a safety factor, but I would take the HUD over a vibration on my wrist.

@stuartv no, you can't go to any dealer and purchase the 4-pin connectors, that was the point I was making. Shearwater has a cheaper, more reliable, and actually fit for purpose connector that they are intentionally holding back from the market for reasons unbeknownst to anyone except them. It makes no sense since anyone can buy a Fischer and anyone can buy a DiveCAN, but only the rebreather manufacturers can purchase the 4-pin analog computers.

I think I'm finally getting what you are trying to tell me. You are saying that even though Shearwater has announced they will offer the Petrel 3 with 4-pin connector, you are saying that they will not sell it to anyone except a CCR manufacturer.

You're saying that DGX and others will not be able to offer for sale the Petrel 3 with 4-pin direct to the consumer. Even though they offer the NERD2 in JJ, O2ptima, and generic DiveCAN versions, and you can buy the analog NERD2 with 4-pin connector (and 3 Molex connectors) from DGX as well (technically, a rEvo part, but anyone can buy it, as far as I know).

Shouldn't we expect rEvo to offer the Petrel 3 as an analog monitor with 4-pin connector, just like they offer the NERD2? So then you could buy it from DGX also?

If you're in a whiteout, can't see your Petrel 3 monitor, and you feel it buzz, what do you do? Dil flush?

If you're in a whiteout and can't see your non-Petrel 3 monitor, shouldn't you do the same thing?

Does having the haptic feedback make it okay, when you cannot see your monitor, to continue diving without doing a dil flush (presuming it has not buzzed)?

I'm unclear on why the haptic is a MAJOR safety improvement. If it was a MAJOR improvement in safety, it seems like Shearwater would have added it before now. It's not like the concept of having a vibrating alarm in your dive computer is new.

I agree with @stuartv - not too sure why I need haptic feedback w a HUD and a controller. Two displays are more than enough. However, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if they let me vote out cells manually.

I agree with @stuartv - not too sure why I need haptic feedback w a HUD and a controller. Two displays are more than enough. However, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if they let me vote out cells manually.

A lot of Kiss units are apparently sold with just the handset. That might be why @tbone1004 is pushing the Petrel 3 as a major safety improvement. I have a HUD as well as the handset on mine that’s on order. Don’t feel the absolute need for the haptic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom