Looking to dive Aruba 2/19-2/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Aruba (1/11 - 18) and dove with JADS. Had a great time. Got my advanced cert. while I was there. If you are looking for individualized attention and not being in a hurry to get the dive over, then JADS is the place. Did a couple of boat dives and a couple of shore dives around Baby Beach. It's only about a 20 min. drive from downtown and they will pick you up.

The best on the island is Puerto Chiquito or Rocky Beach. Its on the road to San Nicholaas in Pos Chiquito. Check with the shop where you get your tanks, they can give you better directions. When we were last there in December 05, it was about $10 per tank and a few dollars for weights. You could easily spend two full days at Rocky Beach because the reef is large and slopes from 20' down to 100' so you can choose your own profile. I understand this site is where many Aruban operators take their open water check out dives.

I agree with blawler1. Rocky Beach is a great site for average divers and even newly certified divers. Closest thing Aruba has to a Bonaire shore dive. On the other hand I do not think you could spend to full days diving only this site. I believe that you'll probably get bored after the second or third consecutive dive here.

I highly recommend Clive (Dive Aruba), my wife and I were there a couple years ago and used Clive on 3 days of diving. He is great, he picks you up and is so friendly. Not sure where you heard he was strict, he does like to keep his boat organized but that is understandable. He lets you dive your computer or tank, whichever surfaces your first. He lets you have freedom and doesn't take more than 6 or so. We did a few wreck dives, reefs, and one dive turned in to a drift, he just followed behind in his boat and picked everyone up as they surfaced. He did an excellent dive on the Antilla, you must dive it. Use Clive, you won't be disappointed.

In the past I've used two other dive operators. Most recently, and only after doing some research on other web sites, IE. Trip Advisor I decided to try JADS. I was happy I did. It is small, one-on-one, and personal diving. I wasn't rushed, hurried or felt pushed to get the dive over because of another group that was booked. Everyone from JP, to Christi to my dive instructor were wonderful. I got my advanced certification while I was there. In the future I will only be using JADS. I can't say enough about them. Hope this helps in making your decision.

I dove with Mermaid and Red Sail in November. Mermaid is fine, but I am not recommending the Red Sail. Good DMs who I think would be patient with a relatively new diver.

I have done several trips with Mermaid. I did a resort course about six years ago. Two years ago I did two, two tank dives.

They are a nice compromise between very small operators and cattle boats. They put one or two divemasters in the water, dpending on the dive group. Both of the DMs were helpful, friendly and knowledgeable.

I'm heading there 2/23 to 3/1 and plan to use them again.

Just curious if you have decided what operators to use during your trip to Aruba. I am also going (will be there Feb 22-28) and hope to do a couple days of diving. I'm a fairly new diver too (12 dives), but have gone pretty deep on most of my dives (80-100 ft). I've read everything I can on these boards and have it narrowed down to Dive Aruba, Jads, or Native Divers. I've emailed all of them for availability. Anyway, just curious what you have decided.

BTW, sorry about the Pats. My husband is a die hard fan too-it was a sad day...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom