Looking to get hooked....on diving from Bay City MI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I are exploring the idea of diving. We have been boaters and fishermen for a long time and had this curiousity of what was below the surface. I am looking to learn more regarding fish habits and expeirence the adventure of diving. We are looking into taking classes with one of two area shops. One is NAUI and the second is SSI. The SSI includes Nitrox and computer training into their basic course and seems to have the lead so far. Any comments?

Thanks,
Steve

The SSI shop wouldn't happen to be in Midland would it?

I can't speak for the computer training as that is a relatively new idea but Tom has included nitrox with his OW for quite some time. It is a great idea in my mind.

For reasons that you will figure out if you spot more more of my posts, I will try to keep mum on my opinions except to say that the SSI shop has a great dive training program and WILL teach you how to dive.

BTW, welcome to the board!

Welcome to the site from a fellow in Frankenmuth! I can't speak to the different trainings available to you. I have a NAUI OW cert from a LOT of years ago and a PADI AOW from last Thanksgiving. Both are from out of state. I think the important thing is to find an instructor that you can trust, and learn the skills well. Diverbrian didn't mention it, but he is affiliated with the shop in Midland, and is an EXCELLENT fellow to dive with. His skills are usually very good, and he just SIPS air (unlike myself...)

Drop a line if you have other questions, or want to get together and talk diving and sample some really EXCELLENT micro-brewed beer. I wouldn't mind talking to you about boating too, as I was thinking about buying a boat to dive from this season.

Stay in touch, welcome to the Scubaboard!!!

Capt. Steve:
Hello,

My wife and I are exploring the idea of diving. We have been boaters and fishermen for a long time and had this curiousity of what was below the surface. I am looking to learn more regarding fish habits and expeirence the adventure of diving. We are looking into taking classes with one of two area shops. One is NAUI and the second is SSI. The SSI includes Nitrox and computer training into their basic course and seems to have the lead so far. Any comments?

Thanks,
Steve

Capt. Steve:
We are looking into taking classes with one of two area shops. One is NAUI and the second is SSI. The SSI includes Nitrox and computer training into their basic course and seems to have the lead so far. Any comments?

Thanks, Steve

And welcome to SB. :wavey: Good place to learn, compare, argue. :krach: Put us in your Favorites and check in often.

Many people will say that they like to visit the ocean, walk along the beach, enjoy the sensations. To me, going to the ocean and not diving is like going to the zoo and walking around the outside. Scuba is somewhat technical and safety challenging, but done right - can be wonderful!

NAUI and SSI are both highly regarded agencies. Wondering -either of the instructors give you any warnings or anything else possibly negative? I really like Nitrox as a part of continued education, and maybe computer work a little later, but I wouldn't really suggest either in basic training...?

don
:sly:

welcome aboard...

good avice above on your question

The SSI shop likely is Seaquatics out of Midland. Keith is a former instructor of the owner of Seaquatics who branched off and started his own shop (a NAUI shop).

The only criticism that I have of Dive and Glide is that to my knowledge, Keith doesn't sell Nitrox. This may be a smart move on his part as Seaquatics carries Nitrox pre-banked. But Dive and Glide is the only area shop that I know of that doesn't carry it (unless he recently added nitrox).

There are two other shops. One is a PADI/IANTD shop on the Delta Rd. near Saginaw. The other that I know of is The Dive Shoppe in Flint (another SSI facility).

In short, I know for a fact that Seaquatics has good instructors and Tom DeGrow (the owner) is one of the best that you will find. I have heard that Keith is a good instructor. I don't believe that you will go wrong if you pick either shop. I would pick the shop that best fits your personality from talking with the staff and go for it!

Seaquatics is a good shop also; used to get my regs serviced there. Before I got smart and left the COLD behind. You'll do fine with either shop. Enjoy!

DandyDon:
NAUI and SSI are both highly regarded agencies. Wondering -either of the instructors give you any warnings or anything else possibly negative? I really like Nitrox as a part of continued education, and maybe computer work a little later, but I wouldn't really suggest either in basic training...?

Actually, Tom has been using nitrox for the last two dives of open water since I can remember. He prebanks EAN36, so after the initial investment in cascades, it doesn't cost him that much more to fill nitrox than straight air. Nitrox isn't that much trickier to teach than air and by including it our OW classes, we have great discussions about PO2 issues and why a deep dive on straight air isn't the best idea in the world.

Also, due to buoyancy issues with students/new divers, I personally feel that they are better off with as little nitrogen as they can get (we all know what fast ascents do as far as DCS issues). Tom will do the drysuit course out of OW too if the student wishes.

The computer idea just started last winter. We have been using the compartment read-outs of our Suunto's to show students theoretical nitrogen loading anyways. This seems to demonstrate to the students about residual nitrogen issues. SSI still teaches tables, so no worries there. But, when they start OW they will be doing their dive plan on the computer so that we know that they know how to use these options before they buy a computer and take it out for the first dive. I have yet to sit in on a class with the concept being used, but a couple of our newer instructors came up with the idea and it seemed that the time was right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom