Looking to get some depth from shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr.RNA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the next couple of weeks my buddy and I will be making the drive from Tucson to Lake Pleasant to complete the open water dives of our Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures classes. Our instructor is new to the area and we were wondering "What sites from shore offer the possibility of getting some decent depth?"

The dam from the Diver Down is always an option (my buddy and I had a blast on the dam last year) but I was hoping to complete some of the class from shore to help reduce/limit the overall cost.

In the past my buddy and I have done the 10 lane boat ramp for fun and got some decent depth (~90 feet) with decent viz, but the idea of shooting a bag/SMB from depth to do a deco stop around the boat loading area sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Any recommendation of shore sites would be greatly appreciated. In fact we are toying with the idea of heading to the lake this Sunday to do some reconnaissance (within recreational limits of course).

In the next couple of weeks my buddy and I will be making the drive from Tucson to Lake Pleasant to complete the open water dives of our Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures classes. Our instructor is new to the area and we were wondering "What sites from shore offer the possibility of getting some decent depth?"

The dam from the Diver Down is always an option (my buddy and I had a blast on the dam last year) but I was hoping to complete some of the class from shore to help reduce/limit the overall cost.

In the past my buddy and I have done the 10 lane boat ramp for fun and got some decent depth (~90 feet) with decent viz, but the idea of shooting a bag/SMB from depth to do a deco stop around the boat loading area sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Any recommendation of shore sites would be greatly appreciated. In fact we are toying with the idea of heading to the lake this Sunday to do some reconnaissance (within recreational limits of course).

I am sure there may be some different opinions, However, when I am doing deep diving training, I think the best place to go is Vista Point on the Marina Side.

Off the road from Vista Point (old boat ramp), head Northwest into the channel (towards the old Dam). It's pretty good swim to get to 130'. Additionally, you need to be extra careful, as you are right in the middle of a heavy boat traffic area as there is a boat launch in the area.

PM me when you are coming up. Maybe I will meet you up there.

JcF

From what I hear... Vista Point is the best place to get to depth the easiest! As a new diver I ask you Lake Pleasant pros, Am I correct when I say that? I have only been diving for a short period, so if I'm wrong please let me know.

Thanks

From what I hear... Vista Point is the best place to get to depth the easiest! As a new diver I ask you Lake Pleasant pros, Am I correct when I say that? I have only been diving for a short period, so if I'm wrong please let me know.

Thanks

Yes, you are correct. Let me know when you want to do a (relative) deep dive. I'll go with you; I live about 10 minutes from the lake. Up there often.

jcf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom