Looks like anchored baggie..What is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was really perplexed when I saw those balloon-like things, so I was GLAD to have a camera along. If you search for my thread about balloon-like things (sorry I don't know how to put a link to it), you'll see a few links to some places where I found info on lugworms, AKA A.C.

HBDiveGirl:
It does look pretty much like this, perhaps narrower at the bottom where it enters the sand. A picture is definitely worth a dozen verbal posts. Thanks, nkw5!!! You and archman are a great brain-trust!

I'll have to go look up "lugworms" and A. cristata, and then look for the critter.
Happy diving to all!

nkw5:
I was really perplexed when I saw those balloon-like things, so I was GLAD to have a camera along. If you search for my thread about balloon-like things (sorry I don't know how to put a link to it), you'll see a few links to some places where I found info on lugworms, AKA A.C.
Thanks again, nkw5. While diving Laguna yesterday, what should I see but another of these formerly mysterious baggies...but this time I could point to it and say (muffled, what with the regulator and all....), "Ah Ha, A. cristata! I have you now!"
Like fitting pieces in a puzzle. Thanks for the links you added to your previous postings...very interesting stuff.
Happy diving!
Claudette

Now now, don't go throwing out "lugworm" every time you see a polychaete egg mass. There are LOTS of worm species, in fact the group makes up (arguably) the highest species diversity known for animals.

My boss just informed me that A. cristata doesn't occur in California. It's some other species of Arenicola. FYI.

a picture of the thing, post it, all of use can speculate as to what it is. :)

HBDiveGirl:
Diving Catalina, Redondo, Palos Verdes: I keep seeing what looks like a thick, beige, light-bulb shaped baggie anchored in the sand (20 to 40 feet). It's about 6 inches long, about 3 inches across at widest part, about 3/4 inch across where it anchors in the sand, and it's dimly translucent. It flutters freely back and forth with the surge. It will not retract, even when touched. Feels like very firm jello "jiggler". Usually see just one, but saw two close together near Redondo canyon.
I can't find it in any of my critter books. Anyone know what it is? Eggs of some kind???
Thanks!

archman:
Now now, don't go throwing out "lugworm" every time you see a polychaete egg mass. There are LOTS of worm species, in fact the group makes up (arguably) the highest species diversity known for animals.

My boss just informed me that A. cristata doesn't occur in California. It's some other species of Arenicola. FYI.
Point taken, archman, and I'll try to show a little restraint and just call them polychaete egg masses. :wink:
'Highest species diversity for animals'....Wow, that's a pretty impressive concept. Satisfaction for me comes from at least knowing it's a polychaete egg mass. Us 'recreational' critter watchers are pretty easy sometimes.
(Having just purchased a scuba kayak, an UW camera has now ascended to the top of my [material] needs/wants list. Then my questions will be much easier to nail. Thanks for all your help!)
Claudette

archman:

Now now, don't go throwing out phrases like "worm species", there is no such group as the "worm group". You would have been more correct saying "vermiform organisms", but even that really isn't a recognized group. You of all people should know better than that!

Claudette, on our next dive, if you see an egg mass feel free to call it what you want. We'll try to snap a picture and verify your i.d. If it looks like a lugworm, and smells like a lugworm, then taste it. If it then tastes like a lugworm, let's call it a lugworm, of course only on a temporary basis.

scottfiji:
Now now, don't go throwing out phrases like "worm species", there is no such group as the "worm group". You would have been more correct saying "vermiform organisms", but even that really isn't a recognized group. You of all people should know better than that!
Sorry, "worms" are oceanographic slang for polychaetes... unless you happen to be one of the handful of folks working on nematodes or the more obscure taxa (oligochaetes, sipunculids, echiurans, etc.).

I think lugworms would taste better lightly fried, to give them a slight crunch.

archman:
Sorry, "worms" are oceanographic slang for polychaetes... unless you happen to be one of the handful of folks working on nematodes or the more obscure taxa (oligochaetes, sipunculids, echiurans, etc.).

I think lugworms would taste better lightly fried, to give them a slight crunch.
Where is a good website where I can go to SEE all these things ya'll like to salt and fry. :D

HBDiveGirl:
Diving Catalina, Redondo, Palos Verdes: I keep seeing what looks like a thick, beige, light-bulb shaped baggie anchored in the sand (20 to 40 feet). It's about 6 inches long, about 3 inches across at widest part, about 3/4 inch across where it anchors in the sand, and it's dimly translucent. It flutters freely back and forth with the surge. It will not retract, even when touched. Feels like very firm jello "jiggler". Usually see just one, but saw two close together near Redondo canyon.
I can't find it in any of my critter books. Anyone know what it is? Eggs of some kind???
Thanks!
Hello, dive girl...
I've recently run across a similar phenom., but in shallow estuarine water in NE FL, and was told by an authority it is the egg mass of a polychaete worm... but I'm still investigating and verifying... I googled egg mass and registered at this site just a few minutes ago. If I (or you) find out the specific organism I can forward to this site, if you wish...Jerry Harrison sci tchr...

Leave the id as polychaete egg mass. There are a number of species in different families that make similar egg masses so I wouldn't be too hasty to assign them to Arenicola.

Highest species diversity? While I always boast about the superiority of worms to other groups this is one claim that isn't true. For multicellular organisms that distinction goes to Arthropoda which includes insects (although nobody has a good estimate for nematodes) while bacteria probably outnumber everything put together.

For images of polychaetes (sorry, no lugworms) go to
http://www.nhm.org/research/annelida/index.html
http://www.nhm.org/guana/bvi-invt/home.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom