Looks like Frances is on the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My company could not get any flights out so I'm staying. Of course, I will have to go inland if the storm path continues to be pushed westward... :11:

I just heard on the weather channel that Melbourne is stopping all flights after the last flight tonight. Looks like I might be riding this one out. I'm sure glad the refrigerator is stocked with beer, and my generator's gas tank is full.

Al

Hey everyone Freedive here, please excuse me being a recluse for a while but things have been extremely busy for the last few months the wedding plans, honeymoon and preparing the house for a good sale price.

I wanted to wish everyone good luck with this thing heading towards us and PLEASE BE SAFE!!!!!! I rode Andrew out right near the Country Walk area and know first hand how bad things can get.

If anyone needs a place to stay and ride this thing out further inland in the Kendall area by all means you are more than welcome to stay with us.

Once again good luck and please be safe.

Juan

My home is open to anyone who needs a place. I'm in Hollywood but west of 95 and a virtual bunker so let me know. I posted a separate thread with my phone number but here it is as well - 954-559-9502.

11am forecast continues to show the path roughly the same as before. The main problem is that the discussion of the models had indicated that there were two showing the hurricane swinging north, they no longer seem to be showing that as the case and both are moving more westerly to join the rest of the throng saying WPB-Cocoa landfall moving across central FL, then either out into the gulf or up into the panhandle. Of course these are only models, but they are pretty much all we have to go on. Still wondering which place to ride the storm out in - decisions, decisions! Keep up the prep work those who can, we are out of everything in the stores here, so i am down to the cross your fingers method - i hear it is very practical and often works :wink:

as simon said, the 11:00 three-day chart has Frances landing north of Lake Okechoobee Saturday morning.

However, tropical storm force winds will reach the coast
much sooner, as early as Friday afternoon. Frances itself
is packing 145 mph winds at the moment.

NOAA Hurricane Center

Guess we won't be diving after all, eh?

Just FYI - I'll be staying at my office, which serves as a hurricane shelter for North Miami Beach. Best wishes for everybody. Once this thing passes, I think we NEED to do some diving togetehr.

I'll be signing off at least until tomorrow.

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Just FYI - I'll be staying at my office, which serves as a hurricane shelter for North Miami Beach. Best wishes for everybody.
Back to work, and stay there all weekend long!! :wink:

I am wondering with this stalled front over GA, that doesnt want to help pull the hurricane up the east coast, whether it will now force it more westerly once it gains real influence, sending it along SR60 or SR70 as at least two of the models show or something like that rather than up the turnpike (as the current path seems to show)??? Who has a coin we can toss? :wink:

Would anyone like to comment on the effectiveness of taping ones windows to prevent glass shattering? I know it is no kind of structural protection to the window and will provide no extra support if a direct hit is taken from debris etc, but they used to tape up their windows in the war to prevent them shattering and spraying glass inside - wondering if this is more an old wives tale type of thing. Of course plywood boards would be great, but they are gold dust around here at the moment, so what alternatives are there??? I have cardboard and some plastic to repair and blown windows after the fact - other than the weak windows, the house seems pretty bombprood, but this storm is one very big bomb!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom