Looks Like I'm Doing Cavern This Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well,.... it looks like I'll be taking a cavern course this spring or summer (once it warms up a tad). I was going to finish my Adv. Nitrox first, but my instructor aid the class may actually help prepare me for it. So,..... I guess I'm going to go for it.

I am going with my current instructor, Larry Babcock, out of Evansville, IN. He teaches through IANTD. Not sure when the class will be just yet. It really depends on where he decides to hold it. If he holds it locally in the quarries, then he will do it this spring or early summer. If he decides to hold it in FL, then it will be the next time he goes to FL to teach cavern &/or cave. His skills with teaching technical diving is one of the reasons I started going to him for my diving needs.

Cool, looks like a lot of us are going that route this year - I picked up my NSS workbook last night. First class is this Saturday. looking forward to it.

safe diving!

Yes, I got my manual also, yesterday:crafty:. I figured I could start studying. Hopefully the actual class will start in the next 3-4 mos. (or earlier if done in FL). I still need a little practice in my doubles. It's getting better, but still needs some work. It's been a rough, slow transition for me, going to doubles:shakehead:.

Have a great time. Just don't let them get you into any dark, enclosed environments !:D

Go to FL! Taking a cavern class in flow (e.g. Ginnie ballroom) cannot be replicated in a quarry. I agree that the skills you learn in cavern will help w/ advanced nitrox and deco. Equipment config, communication, awareness, etc. are all things that will benefit any diver in any situation. Congrats on taking the next step. I hope you aren't scared of the dark :)

Next thing you know she will be buying a Salvo.:D

I just finished cavern in November in North Florida. We stayed in Luraville and dove at Orange Grove, Little River and Ginnie. I am all set to finish up through full cave starting at the end of February. I have been exercising quite a bit to prepare myself to handle going up and down those steps carrying doubles. I don't know if you will be using doubles or not. I did. My instructor, Carl Griffing (Phreatic Fanatic), let me try three sets of doubles during the course of training in the pool and at the caverns. He brought a set of AL80s, LP108s and HP130s. I thought I was going to wind up going with the LP108s because of the little bit of extra weight out of the water for the 130s, but I decided to get the 130s anyway. I also decided on the DR 10W HID Slimline, the Manta CR-1 primary reel and a 40CF deco bottle. You won't need deco for cavern (its not allowed). I looked hard at the LED versus HID and decided to go with the HID for now. They want a lot of money for equivalent powered LEDs with no focusing ability... yet. That being said, I am sure that LED technology is the future.

Hope you have fun in North Florida. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully I will have some pics from my adventures next month as well.

Dive safe! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom