Looks Like I'm Doing Cavern This Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm holding out for the LED's to get better. I think that is within the next year or so.

I bought a Salvo the other day. Nice isn't it?

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 38
Tammie, I have bad news for you. The cave bug lives in caverns, and if you take a cavern class, you will get bitten, and your diving life will be over. You will spend your time on line watching cave diving videos; you will analyze your vacation time to the nanosecond, to figure out how you can get to places where you can admire wet rocks. You will spend your local dive time running line and torturing one another with lights-out exits. Your 10W HID will begin to look feeble. Your pocketbook will look more feeble . . .

Have fun, and welcome to the world of the underground addicted!

I'm holding out for the LED's to get better. I think that is within the next year or so.

I bought a Salvo the other day. Nice isn't it?

Yep, that will be helpful during lost line drills and the lights out, air-share exit :)

Yep, that will be helpful during lost line drills and the lights out, air-share exit :)

Not to mention keeping my buddy hydrated. :11:

Wow, I never would have considered keeping my buddy hydrated w/ my p-valve. You guys must be close. :)

Tammie, I have bad news for you. The cave bug lives in caverns, and if you take a cavern class, you will get bitten, and your diving life will be over. You will spend your time on line watching cave diving videos; you will analyze your vacation time to the nanosecond, to figure out how you can get to places where you can admire wet rocks. You will spend your local dive time running line and torturing one another with lights-out exits. Your 10W HID will begin to look feeble. Your pocketbook will look more feeble . . .

Have fun, and welcome to the world of the underground addicted!

...and what's so bad about that? :D Yes, I'm really looking forward to it! It may still be a few months off, but that will give me some time to study & practice, practice, practice.....
Thanks for the encouragement!:thumb:

As for the pocketbook,... I'm single with only some 4 legged & feathered kids, so it's not too bad,..... yet:D

People seem to either love it or hate it. If you like it, Cavern leads to Intro Cave and Intro Cave leads to Full Cave - it is an inevitable progression.

It's probably true that skills learned in Cavern will help you in advanced nitrox and deco procedures, but I'd argue it the other way as well that the skills acquired in Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures would help you in Cavern and Intro to cave.

Getting used to doubles and getting your configuration squared away before you start down that road is a good idea in my opinion as if you are already comfortable in the water with doubles and are not dealing with gear and trim changes, it lets you focus on the other new skills you are learning. Similarly, work on the specialized kicks before you go as well and use them enough to develop adequate endurance in the muscles they use.

I'd also consider doing Cavern and Intro to Cave together if you can. They can be done together in 3-4 days, which leaves you with only one more trip to Florida to complete Full Cave. Also, doing Intro to Cave will let you know whether you really want to go further.

Training standards for Cavern and Intro Cave do not allow doubles unless you are with an instructor or have the permission of your instructor so check with your instructor first. That particular policy is well intended with the idea that limiting gas will limit penetration and the potential for stupid divers to get in trouble, but it is also pretty stupid as I am pretty sure stupid divers can still kill themselves just as easily on a single tank as on a set of doubles and you are better off spending the training time in doubles.

Back
Top Bottom