Looks Like I'm Doing Cavern This Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the encouragement & the advice. I did start Adv. Nitrox first but have yet to finish it. I originally was going to do the Adv. Nitrox in rec. gear, but it proved not to be at all user friendly. My instructor recommended to me, to start using doubles. At first I really struggled with them, but am now starting to get comfortable with them. I still have some minor tweaking to do with my buoyancy control & trim, but it is coming along; just sometimes a little slower than I would like. My instructor mentioned that the cavern class would definitely help with the Adv. Nitrox, so that was one of the deciding factors for me to take the course. I do understand the reasoning behind the single tank standards though & don't necessarily disagree with that reasoning, nor do I disagree with your reasoning behind using double tanks. From what I've seen ( & I could always be mistaken), my instructor does allow for the use of double tanks in his class (unless he has reason to believe that someone would be dangerous for some reason, then he limits them) I am personally, a cautious (& I believe a careful) diver & don't knowingly dive beyond my training &/or ability without the presence of an instructor in a training environment. It looks like it may be a few months out for the class to start yet, so more time to study, practice & get even more comfortable.

Well, I finished the manual today. It was overall a good read. I understood most of it &, to be honest, most of it was plain common sense (though I do know that when people get into trouble, common sense can go out the window quite quickly). There where parts that were a tad confusing & I will be asking my instructor about those parts for clarification. Now the hard part,..... the wait until the class actually takes off this spring. Looks like it may be April or May (with May being the most likely since not everyone taking the course has a dry suit). Oh well, I guess I'll keep reading & getting out & practicing when I can. I'll try to keep everyone posted on what happens.

As far as I've collected information, it's only NACD that is resistant to intro divers in doubles. TDI, which issued my Intro cert, has no such qualms, and of course, GUE doesn't permit any cave instruction without doubles.

From my understanding (& I could certainly be mistaken) my instructor allows the use of doubles or recreational gear in his cavern class (IANTD). In fact, he rather prefers the use of doubles. If Recreational gear is used, then he does require the use of a long hose with the rec. equipment, but not much beyond that (only a few extras that the standards require). Originally, I was going to do my Adv. Nitrox in my rec. equipment, but found it not to be user friendly when trying to attach a pony bottle to the BC (I spent 20 min. trying to attach the tank to the lower D- ring in the pool, with no success). He actually strongly encouraged me to move on to a BP/W & doubles. From my understanding, we will do most, if not all of the course in a quarry, using the attractions (School bus, RV, cabin cruisers &/or jet plane) to practice in an overhead environment.

From my understanding (& I could certainly be mistaken) my instructor allows the use of doubles or recreational gear in his cavern class (IANTD). In fact, he rather prefers the use of doubles. If Recreational gear is used, then he does require the use of a long hose with the rec. equipment, but not much beyond that (only a few extras that the standards require). Originally, I was going to do my Adv. Nitrox in my rec. equipment, but found it not to be user friendly when trying to attach a pony bottle to the BC (I spent 20 min. trying to attach the tank to the lower D- ring in the pool, with no success). He actually strongly encouraged me to move on to a BP/W & doubles. From my understanding, we will do most, if not all of the course in a quarry, using the attractions (School bus, RV, cabin cruisers &/or jet plane) to practice in an overhead environment.

Tammy ... not trying to dampen your excitement. But why would you take a cavern class without doing it in a cavern? Yea, you probably can take it in a quarry and meet standards ... but why? It might be "easier" and certainly closer, but are you really getting the benefit of the best training possible for the money you're spending?

True, I don't argue that point. It's possible we may go down to FL, to do the real thing, it's not decided yet. I only said that most likely it would be held in the quarries. Personally, I'm just going to "go with the flow", as to where it is held. If it's in the quarries, then, OK, I'm cool with that. If done in FL, then all the better. The expense & the logistics trying to get everyone together to do it in FL at the same time may not be realistic. Either way, my excitement is from the knowledge & experience I will gain, the actual venue is secondary, in my opinion (though some will disagree). Sure, there are conditions you will only find in a cavern & that can only make me a better diver all around to experience it, but I will go with what I can. If I do well with this (whether here or in FL), I am planning on pursuing Intro to Cave as the next step, so I will eventually get in a cave anyway. I may inquire as to when my instructor may go back down to teach cave courses & come down. At this point, though, there's no decision on when & where it will be held.

Congratulations Tammy!

It's a good experience to have regardless of whether you continue further on to Cave. Like Lynn said tho, "there's a bug that lives in there". :)

And even after you get the card, it's just a license to continue to learn, so practice, practice, practice. :)

True, I don't argue that point. It's possible we may go down to FL, to do the real thing, it's not decided yet. I only said that most likely it would be held in the quarries. Personally, I'm just going to "go with the flow", as to where it is held. If it's in the quarries, then, OK, I'm cool with that. If done in FL, then all the better. The expense & the logistics trying to get everyone together to do it in FL at the same time may not be realistic. Either way, my excitement is from the knowledge & experience I will gain, the actual venue is secondary, in my opinion (though some will disagree). Sure, there are conditions you will only find in a cavern & that can only make me a better diver all around to experience it, but I will go with what I can. If I do well with this (whether here or in FL), I am planning on pursuing Intro to Cave as the next step, so I will eventually get in a cave anyway. I may inquire as to when my instructor may go back down to teach cave courses & come down. At this point, though, there's no decision on when & where it will be held.

As I'd expected, you've clearly thought through things. Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom