Los Cabos recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterlloyd

Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking of a last minute dive trip to Los Cabos .

I have searched the threads and am a little confused , Are Los Cabos and Cabo san Lucas the same town ?
When I search the google map it appears to be one large area .

I would like to find a dive shop that will do three dives a day , non rushed dives .

If I am staying in a Los Cabos resort , how long is the transport to dive shops or departure marinas ?

I am a cold water west coast diver so I suppose my 3mm drysuit would be perfect thermal protection this time of year ?

There are direct flights from my home town to Los Cabos so I have to check the diving out . I have been travelling the Caribbean for 25 years and not yet checked out west coast diving .
I realize it is not as warm or clear but the large life is just as cool . And I guarantee it is warmer than my local waters !

If you have been to the area please send your reviews , thanks , coldwaterlloyd

Given recent reports of 67 degree water off Cabo, you might want to make sure you've got your woolies under that 3mm dry suit. Enjoy your trip.

-AZTinman

I was in Cabo in July, despite wearing a 5 mm wetsuit plus a vest, I still froze my a$$ off. The thermoclines are what blew me away. I will say that with only one trip under my belt to the west coast, I am far from an expert in diving that part of Mexico. I picked Cabo San Lucas over Los Cabos because there were far more diving options and shorter boat rides in Cabo. I believe the two towns are about 25 minutes apart from each other. The vis and coral are nowhere as pristine and consistent as the Caribbean, however the abundance of schooling marine life(especially mature)was amazing. I posted a trip report outlining the various areas. It is admittedly lengthy, but hopefully with it written in segments, easy to navigate through. Have fun!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/429561-trip-report-cabo-san-lucas-la-paz-cabo-pulmo.html

Contact Peter Wilcox (former Van Islander and PADI course director), info@bluefishtours.com
He has recently been more focused on his whale watching tours he will give you honest and excellent info. He's a personal friend and a big part of Cabo. Best of luck.

For the benefit of all who might be wondering about Cabo San Lucas vs. Los Cabos, allow me to explain. Los Cabos means "the capes" and there are two capes, each with their own town, that are located at the tip of the Baja Peninsula, approximately 1,000 miles south of San Diego. Los Cabos is the name of the municipality that is comprised of Cabo San Lucas, the party town at the very tip of the peninsula which is by far the most famous of the two and it's lesser known sister, San Jose del Cabo, which is 20 miles up the road. Both are extraordinarily beautiful places to visit with fabulous weather practically year 'round. You can find out more about Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo and the incredible Baja peninsula at Baja.com. I've lived in San Jose del Cabo for 12 years and can attest that it's the rare visitor who isn't completely enchanted by this relatively unknown area of the world that is a short plane ride from many major US cities.

Skip cabo/mexico. It's a cesspool. It's dangerous, dirty, & much to expensive. cozumel is better but still part of mexico. You have no rights, you could be hustled, robbed or drugged at any time. I am speaking from decades of traveling there.
Keep your money in the USA, go some where in Calif. or Hawaii it's safe, clean, and if you need help it will be there for you.

Skip cabo/mexico. It's a cesspool. It's dangerous, dirty, & much to expensive. cozumel is better but still part of mexico. You have no rights, you could be hustled, robbed or drugged at any time. I am speaking from decades of traveling there.
Keep your money in the USA, go some where in Calif. or Hawaii it's safe, clean, and if you need help it will be there for you.

I appreciate your perspective .
My research tells me that baja is a pretty safe place .
I do not trust too many police forces anywhere , nonetheless in Mexico . I have been to Mexico around 35 times over the past twenty years .
I have found if you keep your nose clean , run silent run deep , you can have a good dive trip down there . However ... do not cross the line or the above is more than accurate .

Greetings CWL, I hope you have a great trip. Enough politics, SB is about Diving.

The diving there is fun, but cold, fry on deck, freeze in the water. Lots of scooling fish at times. Bring a camera
Lands End: is a fun dive. requires a bit of swimming.
Neptunes finger:was ok
The Sand Falls: are deep and may or may not be flowing.
Never made it out to Gordo's Bulge , I heard they had hammerheads at 100'+.
East Cape (Cabo Pulmo) is warmer water, a bit of a drive (long dirt road). But it different sea life. Big Rays, turtles, maybe some whale sharks. When I was thier CP the generator was off at 10pm, bring flash lights.

Enjoy
SoCalRich

Im your Huckleberry,hee hee hee. We here at Baja Dive have just what your looking for.Starting at 8:30am we will take you on a three tank Dive in the Marine park that will return at 3:00pm.Tours are guided with Dive Masters and Include Free Photo service,Snacks, Bottled water and gear washing and storage.
Todays water Temp is 72 degrees. Vis around 30 to 40 feet with a slight surge at Lands End.The closer in sites are calm.We have a breeze blowing from the north thats normal for winter here in Cabo.
www.scubadivingcabosanlucas.net

I've been traveling to Mexico since 1961 and now own a house there. Yes, there are areas to avoid, just like in the US. There are many areas in Mexico that are perfectly safe, just like there are areas that aren't. I feel safer traveling around San Carlos than I ever do in southern California. Cabo is another safe area and I am looking forward to returning there later this year.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2013 at 01:36 PM ----------

Im your Huckleberry,hee hee hee. We here at Baja Dive have just what your looking for.Starting at 8:30am we will take you on a three tank Dive in the Marine park that will return at 3:00pm.Tours are guided with Dive Masters and Include Free Photo service,Snacks, Bottled water and gear washing and storage.
Todays water Temp is 72 degrees. Vis around 30 to 40 feet with a slight surge at Lands End.The closer in sites are calm.We have a breeze blowing from the north thats normal for winter here in Cabo.
www.scubadivingcabosanlucas.net

i'm looking forward to diving with you in November while on a cruise. I had a great time in December 2010. I'll PM you about the details.

Back
Top Bottom