Losing two dogs in 9 months really sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This morning I had to put my 9 year old sweet boy Rodel down, he had been fighting kidney disease for 3 years and he'd decided he'd had enough. He loved people, was a good groundhog hunter (!), and way too smart for his own good. My vet makes house calls so he was able to pass on in his own bed. I wish people had it so good.

Some of you may remember that my other dog, Marley, died suddenly of blood vessel cancer last October at age 10. He was a real sweetie, smart and loved people and dogs. He liked to make me laugh, too. Example: he liked frogs he found in the garden, looking at them with his tail going back and forth like a metronome.

I remember that dogs used to live to be 15, 16 years old, now 10 seems like old age.

I'm dreading coming home from work the first time and having absolutely no dog energy to meet me. Dogs give us so much love. Thanks my buddy dogs. I'll miss you both so much.

Two single shots of Rodel, the first one this year, the other when he was about 3. Then a typical Marley pose for the camera, with Rodel looking on. RIP boys.

Attachments

• rodel 09 profile x.jpg
    rodel 09 profile x.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 13
  • rodel and boots x.jpg
    rodel and boots x.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 14
  • two sweets x.jpg
    two sweets x.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 17
I am so sorry for your lost. I know how it is. My sweet German Sheppard died at age 10.
Her hard was to small for her size. I still miss her. No other dog can replace her, but I am glad that every dog is different. So give it a try with another dog. Maybe a different race this time?

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just had to put my 10 yr old lab down in Feb. My avatar is in her honor. It takes a while but it does get better. Just remember "Rainbow Bridge."

Hey shoredivr:

I am sorry for your losses, and most recently for Rodel.

I just got a puppy after thirty years without one (I had one when I was about 5) but have only had him for about three weeks and I can't see myself without him. I had forgotten how much fun a dog can be, that it doesn't mind if you had a bad or good day- it's just happy to see you, and that the simplest things you do for it will make it the happiest being in the house. A dog is a true friend to you, no matter who you are or what you look like (and we are an odd couple). NO other pet compares!

It sounds as if you were a great owner and the things that took your friends away were not in your control. Do yourself a favor, and a bigger favor to a lucky dog, and get another one. Nothing will replace Marley or Rodel, but you should not be without a canine for fear of loss again or because you want your old dogs back. Show another pooch what it means to be cared by you; you'll have another best buddie in no time!

With heartfelt sympathies but wishing you destroyed shoes and furniture legs in the future,
Thomas

Sorry to hear that Shoredivr. That's a heavy and heart breaking thing for a dog lover. I truely feel your pain :(

So sorry to hear this.

We've been through something similar a number of years back, when we had to put down two of our Aussies in a short period of time. The mama dog had gotten so old that, when I saw her unable to even squat to pee one day, and kept getting sores atop her feet because she'd gotten too arthritic to lift them when she walked, we figured it was time.

A month or so later, her daughter started having frequent, terrible seizures, some lasting for several hours. We learned that each seizure makes subsequent ones more likely, and when she was having multiple per day, we couldn't see putting her through that daily pain.

I wrote to some friends at the time that making decisions like that would be so much easier if they were "just dogs". They've never been "just dogs," and I can't imagine a home without the furry brats around.

Thank you everyone, it does help to have your kind thoughts and shared stories. I agree that they're not "just dogs"......when I posted about Marley last October, the rainbow bridge was mentioned then, and that was helpful too.

I'm know that furry people are in my future again, and one is not enough, especially as I live in the country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom