Lost at Sea, which SMB? Carter 10' vs Highland 10' vs OMS 16'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Akimbo , this is really interesting. I'd be interested to hear more about your real world experiences with it? I was put off by the 500m rating that they mention

There are a lot of variables including the radar itself (power, sensitivity, etc), vessel stability, and height of radar antenna. My test mentioned above was on a 42' vessel, calm seas, and the antenna was about 24' above waterline. 500m/1640' is not unreasonable if you are on a 16' Boston Whaler with an antenna that is 8' high.

You have to consider what is looking for you. Your private dive boat, a dive charter day boat, USCG rescue RIB, or a chopper. A recreational diver is not likely to be in 6'+ seas, but that also matters.

There are a lot of variables including the radar itself (power, sensitivity, etc), vessel stability, and height of radar antenna. In my test mentioned above it was a 42' vessel calm seas, and the antenna was about 24' above waterline. 500m is not unreasonable if you are on a 16' Boston Whaler with an antenna that is 8' high.

You have to consider what is looking for you. Your private dive boat, a dive charter day boat, USCG rescue RIB, or a chopper. A recreational diver is not likely to be in 6'+ seas, but that also matters.
Thanks Akimbo. Helpful info

Back
Top Bottom