Lost Diver at Mill Pond Rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when you're in a hole, quit digging. when you don't know where you are, quit jumping & go *back*. this just makes me so frustrated.

i'm very glad he's ok. i'm thankful edd worked his magic. but i'm pissed off about the whole thing.

Go back to where you were stuck and barely got out of? Those lines over there are now broken, I would like to see you do that. How about put both ends of the jump in so you are covered? How about know where you are? Following training would prevent this. I dont consider him doing other jumps, he was looking for a way out, not knowing the cave he kept finding jumps. When this area gets silted out, it is very much ZERO viz. I think he was on his own line where edd found him.

---------- Post Merged at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:29 AM ----------

It sounds like the principle of "guideline" was pretty much violated in about as many ways as you can . . .

:huh:

How so? It was in one way, not many They should have put in the second jump reel.

This group of divers failed to dive their plan. They did the wrong jump and nobody realized it.
It was in one way, not many They should have put in the second jump reel.

Kevin, I am probably not reading things as well as I should, but I am having trouble following what happened precisely. I see there was a group and somehow that group was reduced to one lost diver. I gather they made at least one blind jump. I hope I can prevail upon you for a step by step account as far as you understand it. I was at the point of the initial jump off the main line this past winter, just after that incident. As a back mount diver, I did not even consider going in, so I really don't know what it is like after that.

A team went down a passage, it was the wrong passage to start with. They thought they were in something else. This gets small, well small to most and in BM you get stuck if you dont know where to swim. They did not put in the jump that im aware of at the end. If so then its an easy 25ft to the gold line. Once stuck and viz to zero it is a small area, every couple of feet you will bump into walls and rocks. Well the team turned except for this guy who was able to plow through. When he didnt return the others went for help. All this within the first 500ft of cave.

I'm having trouble following this, too. Am I reading correctly that the diver put in a jump, moved forward through a restriction where he almost got stuck, and then tried to find a route back that would avoid having to go back through that restriction? That's scary. Makes me glad that, in general, if I can't get through a place pretty easily, I don't go through it.

Not a cave diver, but I do want to know. By the quote above, is it considered far in or just the beginning of the cave?
It is in the early part of the cave. The main line there goes over 5k feet and the map shows over 16kft of passage.

I take it they went in by chicken head rock where there are 3 lines that all terminate within a few feet of each other. Did the diver then proceed down the line towards the start of the horseshoe jump. If so he went downstream and the siltout just followed him.

OK, i am thinking of making a t shirt and donating the profits to DAN

On the back it will have a picture of a reel

and...

The reason I carry a REEL and Spools is because I can't carry EDD in my pocket.

what do you all think?

The reason I carry a REEL and Spools is because I can't carry EDD in my pocket.

what do you all think?
Edd really isn't all that big, but you are probably right.

I take it they went in by chicken head rock where there are 3 lines that all terminate within a few feet of each other. Did the diver then proceed down the line towards the start of the horseshoe jump. If so he went downstream and the siltout just followed him.
No, they did it the normal way coming out but Chicken Head rock and wound up in the lines behind it and further. Right now, and for the last two years the siltout doesnt really move far. We need flow again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom