Lost Gear-Poll :11:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long story.
I got a call from a buddy one day. He told me he and a friend were diving at Cortes Bank, about 90 miles or so offshore. His buddy Steve figured he didn't have to worry about where the anchor was because he had a scooter with him. Big mistake. Scooter batteries tend to die just when you really need them. Steve surface to see his boat about 1/4 mile upcurrent. Unable to swim against the current with his scooter and gear, he clipped them together and let them float while he swam to the boat. By the time he got to the boat and pulled anchor his gear was long gone. They never found it down current. Later that day, I was at the dive shop telling another buddy about it. He said,"You won't believe this. A fisherman came in the shop an hour ago and told me he found a scooter clipped to dive gear near Cortes earlier that day." Fortunately, the fisherman left his number. I got in touch with Steve and he called the fisherman, hoping to get his stuff back for a nice reward. The fisherman, on the other hand knew what the toys were worth and wanted $5000 for it! Steve finally negotiated it down to $3000. He's definately one of the guys who give fishermen a bad name.

Lost a light in Lake Erie. Lesson learned, Never attach a $70 light with a $6 clip. Allways buy thr $10 clip!

Earlier this year, my wife lost a fin while we were working our way through the surf in Redondo. We aborted the dive and took the gear back up the hill to the car. We decided we'd sit on the beach for a bit and enjoy the sun, sand and water. While we were walking back down to the water, she says, "I wonder if we'll see my fin..." Sure enough, it had washed ashore about 30 yards from where we'd gotten out of the water.

Fourth of July weekend, I dropped a UK C8 light while I was boarding the boat from the stern platform. I didn't realize it was gone until I'd shrugged off and stowed my tank/BCD. About 10 minutes later, someone yelled out my name and I went to the back of the boat to find that somebody had found my light at the bottom and returned it. Sweet! The Magic Marker paid off. :)

I haven't found anything but trash on dives yet. I usually stash it somewhere on my BCD and toss it into a can when I get back on board the boat.

Lost my relatively new mask and snorkel shore diving in Laguna Beach, CA at a well-exposed beach with nice 4'+ and growing surf. Big wave, newbie attempts to go up and over, gets slammed into bottom, gear is surrendered to the sea, ego a little bruised but body remains intact. I consider myself lucky. I was with an advanced, first-time dive buddy and it was his first time shore diving in So. Cal. I had relatively no experience entering large surf, and maybe 15 dives under my belt. Shame on me, but it was an excellent learning experience that gave me a deep respect for the power of the water. My burning desire to dive that day beat out my common sense. I carried the fear of that experience into the next few dives. I'm a better diver for it.

Kevin

I must be lucky but I never lost any gear until now :D
I appear to be always in the water when someone drops a piece of gear overboard so I had the luck to fish couple of masks, knifes, weight belts and pockets and one camera. All the lost gear went to their rightfull owner for a small fee (a decompression beer after the dive :wink:)

My brother in law and I shared the same picnic table (before and after dive) and lost 1-glove, my hood, and 1 fin clip. For some reason they wound in his bag. I didn't get the stuff back until I had ordered replacements. (never did find the fin clip) On another dive I did find a 2004 ford ranger in 30ft of water, too bad we were looking for it.(cheating)

It was during a night dive for a training class. Snorkel was required equipment. It actually got pulled out because I was too close to my buddy, and it got snagged on a hose. The new one lives in the dive bag.

Mostly stuff forgotten than lost, first trip out after OW we went on the manatee swim, i swear i put my mask in my bag, but come the second dive of the day i couldnt find it, must have been on the side of the boat and either swept off or someone swiped it.

I have recently forgotten to pack my dive gear in my car and turned around to get it, same thing with tanks after getting them refilled, get chatting with the LDS staff and leave to remember 1/2 mile down the road that i dont have the tanks. At least when i gear up i make sure everything is in place at least twice!

Only a disposable camera - they are too darned bouyant - bought a snappy coil with a brass clip so that will never happen again (plus my first shot is now always the hotel bedspread with a white card on it that says "Please return to: our address here" and an offer to repay shipping costs.)

Hubby is really good about remembering to take his and my add-ons off the rental gear because I never would...

Back
Top Bottom