Lost my keys in a lake? Well, I'll just strap an anchor to my body and....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if the hose didn't collapse (a garden hose would I think)...and even if you could suck hard enough to pull air down(which you couldn't)...you would just be breathing the same air over and over unless you knew enough not to exhale into the hose (which I doubt they would).

Once you pass 2-3' in the water table, its hard to pull air, if at all. We used to do this when I was a kid in the pool. It was a game to see who could go the deepest and still get air from a long PVC pipe we had that was about the same diameter as a snorkel..

Already a thread about this in the Accidents and Incidents section.

Scott Riemer:
Could you get bent, or in this case, "kinked"?

Not if you use the right garden hose for the depth. Expect both Halcyon and OMS to be coming out with competing garden hoses shortly. I believe the Halcyon hose will have an integrated boat anchor.

Misapplication of hose. The anchor worked fine.

Regards,

Dive for keys nearly kills Mo. man
June 2, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A man who nearly drowned when using a garden hose to breathe while he tried to retrieve his keys from a lake will make other attempt -- this time with a trained diver -- on Thursday.

Michael Hatfield, 54, of Lee's Summit, lost his car keys in Longview Lake on Memorial Day. The Missouri State Water Patrol said he used a garden hose to snorkel 30-feet below the surface, with a 20-pound boat anchor tied to his waist to help him reach the bottom.

The entire incident was caught on home video.

Hatfield went under water once and returned to the surface without the keys. The video shows him searching without goggles in the murky lake water. On a second attempt, the garden hose slipped from his mouth. Hatfield, unable to breath, became disoriented, the water patrol said.

A spotter holding a rope tied to Hatfield pulled him to safety after sensing trouble.

Hatfield was not breathing and was unresponsive for a short time after he surfaced, but eventually he began breathing on his own. The water patrol said he refused medical treatment.

"I'm shaking now, thinking about what could have been," Hatfield told KCTV-TV, adding that some of the keys could not be duplicated.

"Keys can really be replaced," he said. "At the time, I did not think about that. It was really an embarrassment."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/06/02/dive_for_keys_nearly_kills_mo_man/

Back
Top Bottom