Lost sight of buddies - tank came loose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hovering at 50 feet initially and i don't know about you but I am not an octopus and I can't dislocate my shoulders to put my arms behind my back and re-attach the velcro that attaches the tank to my BCD which came apart underwater.

Of course. You would have to remove your BCD, whilst still breathing from the regulator...in order to access the tank and camband. That can be achieved, even in mid-water.

There's lots of options to achieve this. As long as you are in contact with the (weighted) BCD, then you can maintain neutral buoyancy.

I have never been trained to remove my own gear underwater and the only people that I know of who were trained to do that were divers doing their DMTs

Kit remove & replace (both on the surface and underwater) are a required part of the PADI OW programme. This is also true of SSI and BSAC...and most other agencies that I am aware of.

Are you sure that you were not taught this on your OW course? PADI? If so, then your instructor was certainly violating standards.

Can you remember what you were taught on your OW course? It'd be worth comparing this against the standard program (search threads here to identify those standard skills). :)

Seriously... you might want to double check what you were taught at OW class.

I was trained in quick release of BCD in an emergency (which this could have been had the tank come away)

It is highly unlikely that the tank would have come away from the regulator. As long as the regulator links the tank to your mouth, you are alive. If you couldn't use the tank to inflate your BCD, you could still orally inflate (please tell me you wer taught to do that?) to achieve buoyancy. On an ascent, you'd only need to dump air, so the inflation is unnecessary until you reach the surface... once there, you could either remove the BCD (you had no weight belt on) or orally inflate, to ensure adequate floatation.

My point is that i was using a new BCD and i didn't realise that the quick release involved clips that were in a different place so had I panicked I may have gone down because my training was *flick off the weight belt and unclip or inflate*

The standard pre-dive safety check should cover all of these points... so that both you, and your buddy, are aware of all the clips, fastenings, weights etc etc.

The learning point is that new equipment needs to be understood, tested and practised with. You need to adapt all of your existing skills for the new equipment... before you have to rely on it.

Had the tank become disconnected i wouldn't have been able to inflate (no air) and the weights would have been in my poskets and I hadn't been trained to release them quickly

1. You can always orally inflate the BCD. This should have been taught on the OW course. However, the tank slipping from the cam band, does not normally result in a loss of air supply... the regulator will usually stay attached.

2. If you need to ditch weights, then you must practice and be slick at performing that skill. It is taught on the OW course, but you must continue practicing and ensure you adapt the drill to any variation of equipment you use.

it really is my fault. I descended with a new type of gear and was too polite in a way to bother the dive guys who were - frankly - always telling me to chill out

It isn't a question of fault. You are a novice diver and your development in scuba diving is a learning process. Sometimes we learn on courses, sometimes we learn from mentors, or from observing other divers, sometimes we can learn from internet forums (
03.gif
) .... and sometimes we learn from our mistakes.

The entire reason why novice divers are limited in terms of depth, decompression, overhead environments etc etc .... is because they are likely to make mistakes. Keeping your diving conservative...and building experience progressively means that your mistakes are not likely to hurt you.

Your decision not to attempt the swim-through was a good one. As was your decision to opt for a shallow, benign dive-site. Take some pride in getting those core decisions right.

Can you imagine if you had attempted the swim-through...and then your tank had slipped....and you had gotten tangled in the swim-through? That would have been a much more serious incident. CONGRATULATIONS for making a wise safety decision at that initial stage in the incident. :)

Can you imagine if these problems had occured on a much deeper dive? At 130ft? In bad viz?

Don't beat yourself up about what was, in fact, a minor incident. You made just as many great decisions as you did mistakes. You are at a stage in your scuba progression where you are likely to make a few mistakes. It's great that you take the incident seriously...and have sought feedback on it. You'll learn some good lessons...and be a better diver in the long-run for it.

"Owning a chisel, hammer and drill doesn't necessarily make you a carpenter. Learning the basic OW skills doesn't make you a diver either" <--- DevonDiver

wtf does that mean?

rofl3.gif

Having a tool....and being able to use a tool are different things.

The OW skills you learnt in class are the tools. Being able to use them effectively in real life is a step beyond the simple 'demonstration' that you give on your OW training.

OP, I have to tell you that you did not do all wrong. You were smart enough to refuse the swim through. Think what might have happened had you followed blindly, had you tank come loose, and perhaps gotten it caught on something. You would have been in real trouble then, not having the skills to sort that out...

You show some good thinking, now you just have to refine and correct the problems. It is all part of the learning process. I am proud of your choice to step out here and put this dive up for scrutiny. That is not easy for most. Now, go practice, correct the mistakes, and enjoy your skills and diving.

"I have never been trained to remove my own gear underwater and the only people that I know of who were trained to do that were divers doing their DMTs"

"Every OW student should have covered the equipment removal and replace at depth and at the surface. You should have covered and mastered it in basic OW."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I attended an OW course last week. Although we did do removal/replacement of gear both on the surface and at depth, we did not do it enough that I would be comfortable doing it in an incident situation. I would definitely like to see this skill much more emphasised during OW class.

PS - maybe they did more of this on the last day of OW - I decided to walk away from the last two dives, and will retake the entire course in about six months or so.

Cheers Nick

Hi Nick,

As with any course of education (scuba or otherwise), the skills needed are taught to a baseline standard. There is some debate about where that baseline should lie. However, it is the responsibility of every diver to keep those skills fresh...and to carry on refining them after the initial tuition period. Those divers that neglect this, are the ones who regularly appear in the accidents & incidents forum.... or who are seen kicking up clouds of silt, bashing coral on dive site and are often seen looking bemused on dive boats when the time comes to assemble equipment.

Most dive centers offer some form of 'scuba review' class...and these are well worth taking if you have had a lay-off from diving or wish to fine-tune your skills (and get a second-opinion on your weak areas). Likewise, some agencies offer great foundation models that take your core scuba ability to a higher level. An example of this is the GUE 'Fundies' (Fundamentals - Rec) course.

In addition, finding a more experienced diver, who is willing to mentor you, is a great strategy. Just be sure not to become reliant on the support of other divers...as this will impair your own development over time.

Okay, I'm in blue again. :D

It means that the basic tools and skills you were taught in OW class will be forgotten and lost if you do not revisit them and practice them on a regular basis.

A very good question. Also, were they insta-buddies or people you regularly dive with?

Training up to AOW had no removal of gear training aside from emergency release of BCD and waist weights for an immediate ascent. I was wearing an integrated BCD

this thread was about whether the tank could have become unattached from the valves and it wasn't asking about the complications regarding losing the buddies.

Last edited:
Hey, the important thing is that you made it back to the boat ok!! Did your BC have a strap near the top that is intended to go over the valve? That strap should keep your tank from falling free. Sounds like when faced with the problem you remained calm and did what you were trained to do. Talk to your fellow divers about how you might try to alert one another if you get separated. Use this situation as a learning experience. It will make you a better and safer diver. Good Job.

Steve

Ah!

Good point!

I don't remember

I do remember when i finally surfaced and inflated my BCD the tank was bobbing around and the boat had to come help. It was disconcerting cos I was alone and prior to the dive the local DMs were teasing me about fifteen foot hammerheads

*sigh*

I do like diving but that was my seventeenth dive and on my Belize vacation (just got back0 and i quit after that.

I have never been scared before and I realized on that dive that you probably have 60 seconds to act in a true emergency and I won't be diving again until I can wrap my head around it and stop being too easily lead by others re safety.

i had an isntinct things weren't right and I didn't follow it.

The replies regarding removal of gear are interesting and I was trained regarding emergency release of gear but my point is I realised after the event that the BCD had clips in a different place so if I had had to drop the gear I would have failed and it would have been further complicated by the fact that there were integrated weights that I didn't insist on trying out before descending

Frankly I had red flags all over the place and I was too sheepish about insisting cos I was traveling solo which is absolutely my responsibilty to take care of myself.

Lesson learned and I am still here

Training up to AOW had no removal of gear training aside from emergency release of BCD and waist weights for an immediate ascent. I was wearing an integrated BCD

If that is true, then standards were broken. And if you release weights and BC at depth, how do you plan to control your ascent? I think you should talk to an instructor in your area. They can help you and with the complete training, you will have more confidence and be better prepared for diving.

this thread was about whether the tank could have become unattached from the valves and it wasn't asking about the complications regarding losing the buddies.
I think you were asking for more help than just whether the tank could come loose from the 1st stage and hoses. Otherwise you would have just asked that question.

Yet your buddies leaving you, is an important part of this scenario. A buddy may have noticed your tank and helped sort this out before it became the issue you now have.

Thanks Andy,

My reply is is the New divers forum.
Cheers

If that is true, then standards were broken. And if you release weights and BC at depth, how do you plan to control your ascent? I think you should talk to an instructor in your area. They can help you and with the complete training, you will have more confidence and be better prepared for diving.

I think you were asking for more help than just whether the tank could come loose from the 1st stage and hoses. Otherwise you would have just asked that question.

Yet your buddies leaving you, is an important part of this scenario. A buddy may have noticed your tank and helped sort this out before it became the issue you now have.

"And if you release weights and BC at depth, how do you plan to control your ascent?"

The point was if my tank had disengaged from the valves I would have been without air and I would have had to lose the BCD and integrated weights and do an emergency ascent by using swimming fast fin-kicking ascent and slowly exhaling to minimize lung expansion. At the point where I became concerned I was ascending from 50 to about thirty feet so I don't think depth was an issue re getting up - but i would have sunk had I lost tank and not dumped gear

I think one of the reasons this issue is preying on my mind is that I read about a guy who backward rolled of his boat and literally sunk and he was history because weights etc weren't worked out and (like me) he clearly fumbled re the clips.

My situation was quite simple: I needed to know where the clips were and i didn't realise that BCDs differ

Back
Top Bottom