Love my new 5060!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
FINALLY got my 5060 and PT-20 housing. Took forever to get the money up, but so worth it now. I just got back from my latest dive trip to Monterey. The vis was decent.

I was really concerned with all the flooding stories I was hearing. I was exceptionally careful with putting the camera in the housing, checking and lubing the o-ring, making sure moisture packets were positioned correctly, doing everything the night before, so no rush. I'd already DEPP insured the camera before leaving for Monterey. No way was that camera touching water without it.

The next day we were invited along with our instructor and a friend on the friend's Achilles. I'd been hanging on top of the water for the SI rather than in the boat (I get seasick) and for all my careful preparations, upon leaving the first dive site, left the camera attached to the lanyard hanging off the side of the boat. After about a minute of going at a good clip, I had the OMG freakout realization and grabbed for the camera, which was bouncing nicely along the side.

No leak! But I won't be doing that again.

Anyway, I set the picture quality to, I think HQ, or whichever gets you 210 pictures on a 256 card. I wanted a lot of pictures to play with different settings and features, and decided that was more important that picture quality at this stage. I have taken... oh, maybe 10 underwater photos up to last weekend, all on a cheap 50 dollar 50 mm.

All the photos in my gallery except the harbor seal are the new camera. I cropped and tweaked a few of them in a basic photoediting program. They haven't been through PSP yet or anything. Though I'm nowhere close to the quality I'd eventually like to have, the camera did far better than I expected on a first run. I took about 160 pictures over the course of four dives (only 11 in the gallery) and was pleased with well over half of them, with a lot of the discards either being fish butts, times where I wasn't aware of the length of the shutter delay, so I was moving the camera away from the subject when I actually took the picture, and test-focusing in macro modes. Got a lot of blurry orange cups before finally nailing one.

Thanks for all the recs back in November. I can't wait to get down and try out this baby again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom