Loving DSS Kydex BP, but do I need a stainless one now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Tobin and everyone else,

I'm on another dive vacation, and still really liking the kydex BP and 17lb wing.

I put 3lbs in a pocket on the top tank strap and that is all I need.

So, I have to wonder, how much more negative is the stainless steel large plate compared to the kydex large? I might have to buy a SS and then won't need any extra weight.

The SS large is 5.8lbs, but I don't see the weight on the large kydex.

Is this BP/W thing an addiction where you always need more and more new stuff???

Cheers,
DiveSergeant

I have both a Kydex and SS Large Pattern plates. The Kydex is great for traveling because it weighs about a pound maybe 1.5 tops.
Locally I dive with steel tanks so I don't have to add any weight when I use the Kydex plate, but if I travel I'm usually using Aluminum tanks so I add weight to keep my rear end down and be able to hold a safety stop with a near empty tank.

The stainless steel plate is great for aluminum tanks, but I almost never dive those locally. I can see myself parting with it for the right price if you're interested.

I have both a Kydex and SS Large Pattern plates. The Kydex is great for traveling because it weighs about a pound maybe 1.5 tops.
Locally I dive with steel tanks so I don't have to add any weight when I use the Kydex plate, but if I travel I'm usually using Aluminum tanks so I add weight to keep my rear end down and be able to hold a safety stop with a near empty tank.

The stainless steel plate is great for aluminum tanks, but I almost never dive those locally. I can see myself parting with it for the right price if you're interested.

Tempting! Let me ponder a bit on it. I love the light weight for travel and am balancing that against needing to hang weights on my tank strap. The SS would probably put me a bit heavy in the water, but nothing a puff of air into the wing wouldn't cure.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom