Low hanging of tanks, is this a specific fashion, ignorance, or normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I were perfect and could post photos of people who do not fit in with my definition of "the way things should be".

It's a shame all divers are not so flawless as some appear to be....

Eric Sedletzky,

I've been thinking to respond to your post since reading it: Each of us posting to these boards really should keep foremost in our mind just why it is we are posting. If we are certain we are not attempting to *convince* anyone of anything—especially not to dive a certain way—then participation in these forums is much less frustrating, I think. I, personally, enjoy reading what others have to offer, even though much (most?) of it I can see myself *never* doing (like rec diving in open water in significant exposure protection without ditchable weight, or handing off a pony bottle to an on-the-verge-of-panicking OOA open water diver during a recreational dive, or ...!).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver
Most scenarios we're taught we never need to use or have to use. Still a good exercise to go over it, know some different options, and if for some reason you ever do find yourself in one of these odd situations hopefully you react appropriately.

How many people have taken a CPR class? How many have actually ever been in a situation where they needed it? And how much of it do you actually remember if you took it once five years ago and never thought about it again?

Sure, tank position seems like a dumb topic, but people all around have bright up valid points. I've seen tanks slip out and have had to help them back in while underwater, and it's the reason I'll never dive a BC with only one tank strap. With two straps they can both be somewhat loose and your tank still won't go anywhere. The other side of that is the newest BCs have better tank straps then those of just 10 years ago and tanks are much less likely to fall out.

As for leaving, this is probably my first post in a year... I lurk more these days, if someone feels like they are getting burnt out then they should create some space. This place will still be here and still be the same whenever you are back into it. :)

Nice try but not going to work. I am not defending too low, just not up behind your head, a position dictated by the use of a doubles plate for single tank diving. The photos you present have issues for sure and the least of all of their worries are the tank position. Looks like they need some new cambands and a BC that actually fits.

N

I'm not sure I agree with this about S/S rigid plates dictating a high tank position. For 2 or 3 years now I have dived a Transpac soft harness and wing. This gave me a lot of attitude to alter tank position up or down to balance trim. A couple of months ago a friend of mine gave me a new S/S backplate with single tank adaptor that he had just imported from a new supplier in Turkey. I have rigged this backplate with a Hollis harness and the wing off the Transpac harness and it sits mid back exactly the same as the Transpac soft harness did. This means I can adjust the tank as high or as low as I did before and am not limited having it right up behind my head.

So whether or not the tanks are trending towards being too low with a traditional BCD in the pictures - using a backplate does not dictate a position where the tank is too high. - Phil.

Most scenarios we're taught we never need to use or have to use. Still a good exercise to go over it, know some different options, and if for some reason you ever do find yourself in one of these odd situations hopefully you react appropriately.

How many people have taken a CPR class? How many have actually ever been in a situation where they needed it? And how much of it do you actually remember if you took it once five years ago and never thought about it again?

Sure, tank position seems like a dumb topic, but people all around have bright up valid points. I've seen tanks slip out and have had to help them back in while underwater, and it's the reason I'll never dive a BC with only one tank strap. With two straps they can both be somewhat loose and your tank still won't go anywhere. The other side of that is the newest BCs have better tank straps then those of just 10 years ago and tanks are much less likely to fall out.

As for leaving, this is probably my first post in a year... I lurk more these days, if someone feels like they are getting burnt out then they should create some space. This place will still be here and still be the same whenever you are back into it. :)

CPR--Yes. My rant is all you usually have to do in the course anyway is get it right when the instructor tells you how to do it.
One Strap-- Mine would slip (I wet it, tightened it like no tomorrow). So I bought the Bio Tank Lock. I've as well hear two straps do the trick. Some have told me a single strap BC should never let it slip. Maybe it varies with BCs and age of BCs.

I chalk it up to being oblivious.

I often wonder why I'm still here myself, boredom I guess?
I really do have better things to do. Many times I think I am preaching to the choir with one small group and with the rest It just falls on deaf ears.
It would be interesting to get all scubaboarders together sometime and witness the dynamic. I'll bet people would group off with their own kind much like they do in everyday life with the people they are the most comfortable with.
I have a feeling I would be fairly awkward and hard to categorize.
Divers for the most part seem to seek out safety with like minded people and gear choices and styles.
they are quite reluctant to change and once they feel a sense of belonging they shut their minds off if everything's goes well enough and problem free, regardless if something better is in plain view.
Divers are very myopic in this regard.
I've been here for 10 years now and see very little change if any at all.
I'm going to say that scubaboard has probably run it's course with me and offers little to nothing except for a few entertaining chuckles now and again.
It's pretty hard to take 99% of the crap here seriously.

I think to some degree we all like the social play or exchanges and reactions to comments, there is the sense of the unknown that keeps one interested.
It challenges us to choose how to react. Of course we can omit rudeness and disrespect but differences of opinion are a normal part of discussions. I believe this is one of the most important things I have learned in seeing what to do to and what not to do on this forum, and I actually think its making me a better person. By taking time and trying to be considerate to others view points I have found that I needed to take a second or two an put myself in their shoes to better get their perspective. This enabled me to become less frustrated and more objective. I also find it very rewarding when I decide to do the more difficult thing which is not to lash out or become sarcastic and try to argue but rather take the high road and do my best to keep it positive.
Since we are social creatures we have a developed an appetite for it. I actually think its a good thing.

I on the other hand am constantly learning from all the comments and suggestions that I read from the forum and at the same time learn to deal with my response to other peoples views.

I look forward to being on Scuba Board, since I am a new diver I can appreciate all the advice that is brought forth. I can have time to digest and make my own choice on what advice to take. I think after getting used to listening and interacting, one can assume that this is not only building knowledge but more importantly wisdom to use this knowledge.

I sometimes wonder whether divers rig their gear a certain way because that is how their OW instructor did it and I'm sure that OW students tend to see their instructors as dive gods. I've had OW students ask me how high their cylinder should be and all I can say in response is 'My rig is within normal bounds and works for me, so it's probably a good starting point for you. However, you need to experiment and work out what is good for you.'

Texasguy,

I noticed in your pictures that you seem to have a lot of air in your wing at depth. You may want to do a weight check.

Texasguy,

I noticed in your pictures that you seem to have a lot of air in your wing at depth. You may want to do a weight check.

Why not private message me? Perhaps because you'd like to publicly discuss this? There is also an issue of longer than needed hoses. Please review. You may missed some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom