Lubing the O Ring.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KansaiKitsune

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
WHAT innuendos? :D

Seriously. This is a bit of a noob question, but I've heard that you can lube underwater housing O-Rings with something as simple as KY Jelly or Astroglide. Would that be an accurate appraisal of such situations? :D

Well, it might work or it might not work. You take your chances.

But why risk it? Silicone lube recommended by the housing manufacturer is generally pretty cheap and you can be pretty well assured that there won't be any ill effects. With some o-rings, you cannot just use any type of silicone grease or other lubricants as some may swell and cause the housing to leak.

lol......if you want to keep your camera I would say don't try anything other that what is delivered with your housing

KansaiKitsune:
WHAT innuendos? :D

Seriously. This is a bit of a noob question, but I've heard that you can lube underwater housing O-Rings with something as simple as KY Jelly or Astroglide. Would that be an accurate appraisal of such situations? :D

I had a similiar question Kansai and the overwhelming consensus was only lube your oring with the particular type/flavor of lubricant that was supplied to you in your housing purchase.
To do otherwise is to invite catastrophic encounters of water with your camera :wink:.

You can delve further into the issues of why grease for silicon o-rings is not silicon grease by having a look here

Diver Dennis:
Great link Jam. I too am scared to use anything but Ike Lube. I bought 8 tubes for not much money and it will last me a long time.

Very true Dennis, when next I travel i'll probably stock up on tubes of grease o-rings.
In the interim however, Alcina's response does give me a bit of confidence.

http://70.84.188.178/showpost.php?p=1880817&postcount=15 :D :)

I'm too much of a wuss to try that...:D I do think that I lube the O-rings too often, every time I take the housing apart but I don't want to take a chance. Canon might have different O-ring material.

Diver Dennis:
I'm too much of a wuss to try that...:D I do think that I lube the O-rings too often, every time I take the housing apart but I don't want to take a chance. Canon might have different O-ring material.

All the orings need to be is slick, which helps in maintaining the integrity of the oring.

In any case I test my housing before diving my submerging it in a bucket for a few minutes and checking for bubbles.

Well, hmmmm, it seems that one should try and minimise how often you remove the o-ring from the housing.
'Stretching' seems to be an issue...

Back
Top Bottom