Luconia - Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seamonster once bubbled...
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what is the duration of a typical trip, how long it takes to get to the Luconia Shoals, whether there is diving along the way and whether there are fixed departures or do you have to charter the entire vessel?

Thanks.

......thought that replying to your post itself is a more personal touch.
Typical trip is about 5D/4N (weekend to weekend is safest) and duration to first dive site is about 10-12 hours....so we normally leave in the evening and first dive is when we wake up in the morning, right after b/fast!! What a way to start!! We normally decide it's a go when we can get enough people to do the trip but always state a tentative date to start off (usually late April-early May each year!). Hope that helps.

beserker_77 once bubbled...

Thanks for the reply kawabunga0.

If thats the case, any dive shop to recommend in MIRI. Since you said that the boat leaves from MIRI. I've been there before, quite a small town, nothing much over there. (but quite a good place to do trekking though) Don't really heard of any diveshop from my friends who stay there.

....dive shops in Miri:

Dive Station/Miri Resort Dive centre: tel. +6 085 434772 (ask for Tommy) or +6 019855 1608 (Peter)
Scuba Sarawak: +6 085 425581 (ask for Voo)

Hope that helps.

BTW, where do your friends stay? Piasau Garden? Or along Pujut?

kawabunga0 once bubbled...

....dive shops in Miri:

Dive Station/Miri Resort Dive centre: tel. +6 085 434772 (ask for Tommy) or +6 019855 1608 (Peter)
Scuba Sarawak: +6 085 425581 (ask for Voo)

Hope that helps.

BTW, where do your friends stay? Piasau Garden? Or along Pujut?

Well i'm not very sure about the area though, as i was there in Aug 01. But my friend family is running a small shipyard & tire rethreadthing factory. Been there for about 2 weeks of stay, quite a relaxing place to de-stress though.

beserker_77 once bubbled...

Well i'm not very sure about the area though, as i was there in Aug 01. But my friend family is running a small shipyard & tire rethreadthing factory. Been there for about 2 weeks of stay, quite a relaxing place to de-stress though.

No worries.....Miri is indeed a nice place to unwind. Do let me know when you are next there, and I can get you hooked up with some divers there for a weekend of blowing bubbles!!

kawabunga0 once bubbled...

No worries.....Miri is indeed a nice place to unwind. Do let me know when you are next there, and I can get you hooked up with some divers there for a weekend of blowing bubbles!!

Just to check with you, how much does it roughly cost per dive over there in miri. Lets say excluding the airfare and lodging???

Sorry for the silence. Dives in Miri (by commercial operator) is about RM80-90 per dive, although you can rent a tank for RM15 each and get some friends together to go diving more cheaply. Best reefs (where the dive operator goes to) is only 30-45 mins offshore. You can easily do 2 dives from 8am to 2pm and be back for a nice cuppa in the evening.

I also have the Luconia pics to share but need some time to complete uploading them to a web site first. Should get that done very shortly. Will notify you all in this forum once completed.

Hi, At long last, I have found some time to post some pics up on the Luconia Dive trip. Quality not great, as the photographer was still grappling with settigs, etc.....but was interesting.

Just another dive location that is not published very much but within close proximity to us divers from Asia Pacific region, as trips are done like once or twice a year, due to good weather windows and distance.

I hope to post some video streams taken on the trip but will keep them short.

Luconia Dive Pictures

Hi kawabunga0,

I will be going down for my friend wedding next year Jan, i try looking for Voo website at Scuba Sarawak - www.scubasa.com. Apparently the website is down, so any other way to contact Voo through e-mail?

Thanks & Regards

Just to let you all know that there is another trip being planned for Luconia (off the Sarawak coast) towards the end of April until 1st week May.

Some pics of one of the many dive sites around Luconia Shoals can be found in one of my earlier posts.

Please feel free to drop me an email or reply to this post if you are interested to know more. Am looking for dive buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom