M/V Black Manta, any opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just returned from a LOB on the Black Manta. Really good ship which i would highly recommend.

BTW it has a ice machine.

Ice machine for cooling beers? Do I need to bring some beer on board? Has anyone heard how the diving is in the Similans? Getting closer to my trip, can't wait!!

Ice machine for cooling beers? Do I need to bring some beer on board? Has anyone heard how the diving is in the Similans?

An ice-machine that makes ice so you can have drinks with ice!

You don't have to bring beer, there's plenty of it on board.

The diving in the Similans is GREAT at the moment.

:D

I was on the boat last week but didn't see any WS or Mantas though other boats mentioned there were WS at Richelieu.. Lots of leopard sharks though..

I'd ask for a refund coalfox. Those mantas have a contract and there is a no-show penalty for them. The whalesharks aren't unionized yet though so there is no collective agreement for them. They just get a daily scale so if they weren't paid to be there, you should have gotten at least something back. Check with Gareth or Chris - it should come out of their pay. Feel free to tell them I told you so too. :D

did the white manta over new year, 5 day trip. i couldnt fault the boat/crew or the guides. o.k so the boat isnt as new as black but fewer numbers made it very comfortable and i stayed in the cheapest room. Excellent food all day, it just never stops coming and catered for all tastes. The crew are on the ball with an excellent captain who could put that boat exactly where he wanted! I will def book again.

I'd ask for a refund coalfox. Those mantas have a contract and there is a no-show penalty for them. The whalesharks aren't unionized yet though so there is no collective agreement for them. They just get a daily scale so if they weren't paid to be there, you should have gotten at least something back. Check with Gareth or Chris - it should come out of their pay. Feel free to tell them I told you so too. :D

:no being the nice chaps that they are.... The OLD MAN :eyebrow: Strikes again!:rofl3:

:rofl3::rofl3:

Hello,

I promised that I would report on the ship and diving with Black Manta and the Similan Islands. We were on board from January 22nd to 26th. It was the first live aboard for my wife and I so there's not a lot for us to compare to, but we had an amazing time!

We were picked up from our hotel in Kata Beach in a comfortable mini-bus and after picking up a few others made our way to where the BM docks. It is actually on the mainland north of Phuket, and about a 45 minute drive. After settling in to our cabin, dinner was set out and we started steaming for the islands.

We woke up to a sunrise over a remote white sand beach, and for the next four days we didn't do much but dive (4 times a day), eat, and sleep. Fantastic! Richelieu Rock, Rocky Point, and Koh Bon were the highlights of the trip. We didn't see whale sharks, and the only manta we saw was from the sun deck of the ship between dives at island 6. The huge variety and number of fish and coral more than made up for this.

The food was excellent and there is beer on board but you pay by the can. My wife bravely tried one of the dishes that the Thai crew were eating and found it shockingly spicy. The guest food is quite a bit tamer.

Our boat manager Chris was enthusiastic and despite having a lot of things to manage was always considerate and mindful of the safety of everyone on board. The dive deck was incredibly well managed and our gear was always ready for us. For photographers, which was just about everyone on our trip, there is a dedicated tank and equipment counter. I have always detested putting on my fins while wearing all my other dive gear, but the deck crew helps with this (actually they put them on for you) just before you enter the water so it was a breeze. After the dive, pick up was done with both the main boat and a zodiac. The water was a bit rough on some of our dives and surface marker buoys are a must.

With so many destinations on our list of places to dive its hard to know when we would return to the Black Manta, but if every live aboard we do is like this we will always be happy!

Cheers,
Erin + Michelle

Back
Top Bottom