M/V Fling and the Texas Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'd keep my cell phone close on the day of departure. That storm is nearly a thousand miles across, and deep swells can travel a LONG ways across the Gulf. It could be fine, but it could also get a bit bumpy while y'all are out there. One trip I was on was chased out by Hurricane Dolly a few years ago. Here's the NOAA forecast for the FG for this weekend.

FRI NIGHT
E TO SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO
15 KT LATE. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
ISOLATED TSTMS.

SAT
E TO SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SAT NIGHT
E WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SUN
NE TO E WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SUN NIGHT
NE TO E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.

MON
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 8 FT E OF 90W...
AND 3 TO 5 FT W OF 90W.

3 to 5 foot seas are manageable, though not altogether fun. The Fling does pitch and roll a bit while on the mooring lines, and getting back on the boat can be a bit of a challenge. Getting "maytagged" by those big ladders is a distinct possibility, so listen to the briefings and take care. Anything over the mentioned wave heights can be downright unpleasant.

Hopefully, all will turn out well for you!

I just picked up some chicken feets and a pig's pecker. Burning a big fire tonight, maybe I can turn this thing around.

I just picked up some chicken feets and a pig's pecker. Burning a big fire tonight, maybe I can turn this thing around.
If burning a "pig's pecker" worked to scare off hurricanes all the pigs in Florida would be peckerless!!!:cool:

Went to the Flower Gardens on the M/V Fling's sister M/V Spree, back in '95. We were out for 5 days as I recall. Had a great time. Need to go again. The Capt. & crew were great back then too!

Well dang looks like its canceled.... But suppose I would rather be on land than, stuck out at sea puking my guts up.

worse than having a trip cancelled is wishing one had been cancelled. the problem is not the sleepless night with a boat full of sick divers. it is the end of the dive when all you have to do is get back on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom