M/V Spree July 2 – 6, 2013 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverAmy

Prism2 CCR Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was my husband’s and my first trip on the Spree and my 8th liveaboard trip. We drove about 4 hours down to Stock Island on Monday afternoon from Lake Worth, Florida where we live. We dined at the Rooftop Café in Key West, as we arrived about 2 hours early for the 7:45 pm preboarding briefing. The dinner was lovely, romantic, and the food was pretty good, but the weather was iffy - very cloudy and rainy out. In fact, it had been raining at home all week, so we checked the marine forecast about a day before heading out and we were not happy with what we saw, but we hoped for the best.

We were welcomed aboard at the marina by Melanie (Wookie’s better half), who stated that we were the last to arrive, although we were about 25 minutes early. Everyone else (the crew and other 6 passengers) had dined together. We were extremely surprised to learn that there were only 8 passengers. We got settled in, set up our dive gear, filled out waivers and other paperwork, and then headed below to select bunks. We were lucky to find one of the small rooms of 4 bunks (2 sets of bunk-beds cordoned off with a curtain from the main sleeping area) empty and available. We were lucky to enjoy the room to ourselves. We managed to sleep together in one bunk most every night. It was cozy!

The weather went from bad to worse over the week. I would say the seas started out at 2-3, went to 3-5, and averaged at about 3-4 for most of the week. The wind blew almost constantly. We barely ever saw the sun in 5 days of diving.

The food was ample and satisfactory. I have a pretty unique diet, but was able to find enough to eat. I was especially grateful for the daily morning oatmeal and fresh fruit. Other meals were a little tougher for me, as I don’t eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, flour, white rice, or white potatoes. Kevin seemed to enjoy most of his more conventional meals and especially enjoyed the desserts and treats.

The diving was a mixed bag. Inside the park, where the sea was calmer, the visibility was awful. I experienced the lowest viz dive (10ish feet) ever. You could tell that the site would have been very pretty, in better weather. Outside the park, in the reserve, the viz was much better, but the sea was much rougher. On most of the reserve dives there was a thermocline, so I alternated between a 3 mm full and 5 mm full, both with hooded 3/5 vest. The extent of the marine life was vast in both locations. On my most exciting dive I saw a squid, but Kevin and I missed the mooring pin and essentially the dive site, went too far north and came out about 100 yards from the boat. They crew threw out the very long tag line for us, and we were grateful to pull ourselves to the boat, rather than swim. We didn’t make a mistake like that again. Apparently some other divers went even further off course and required a dingy ride home. Dingy rides became a theme over the next few days. Divers were not finding their way back to the boat under their own power and we were scolded as a group several times. Also, in dive briefings we were told that certain parts of the site were basically off limits (so we wouldn’t get lost). In all fairness, one or two divers seemed to consistently require assistance on each dive. But, this aspect of the diving seemed a bit more shaming than was necessary. I opted out of one dive a day, so I ended up doing a total of 16/21 dives, because I was tired and the diving was a little more challenging than I had hoped for. The crew called one night dive because of conditions.

Highlights: squid encounter; tweaking my new gear; clean, stable, very well run/maintained boat; personable/safety conscious crew, funny conversations; I could see how this could be an amazing trip in better weather.

The worst moments: getting up the ladder in rough seas; dingy lectures; vomiting into a garbage bag on the dive deck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the dive report. I'm sorry to hear that conditions didn't pan out for your vacation. I had a similar experience last year (not on a liveaboard though). It rained every day, seas were rough, and I got sea sick every day...

The divers getting lost and needing rides, was this due to poor navigation skills, strong current, or something else?

The divers getting lost and needing rides, was this due to poor navigation skills, strong current, or something else?

I would say a combination of those things, along with poor visibility, although Kevin and I did not dive with any of the other divers. And though we never needed a ride, our one big mis-shoot was due to poor planning. When we arrived at "the" reef and I couldn't see the mooring pin (poor visibility, plus we did not follow the line down), just going on with the dive plan was a mistake, in retrospect. We did have plenty of gas to get home on our own power, and we dove slowly, so we never got too far from the boat, but spending the whole dive wondering where the boat was, was not fun. I did go down the line every other dive, after that. Previously, on similar boats in similar conditions, I could SEE the line and/or the boat, so this wasn't an issue. If I had to do it all again for that dive, when I hit the reef and didn't know where the pin was, I would have ascended, found it, and started the dive over. We had plenty of time. LIVE and LEARN.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand the "vomiting into a garbage bag." Was this part of the ship's entertainment? I guess there's no room for a disco or a pool deck. Did you have to pay extra for this and were any there any prizes for best heave?
If this is something that you enjoy, why not join the US-by God Navy and cross the equator. Then you may get to crawl through a 25'-long tube full of rotting garbage that has been stashed for weeks. If you're good, as I apparently was, then you can have the added bonus of having a rotten onion placed in your mouth as you start your adventure crawl. This is, of course, after you have maybe had the dining pleasure of eating olives out of the lard-coated belly rolls of The Royal Baby who is usually the fattest, oldest shellback on the boat or ship.
All part of the fun.

I don't quite understand the "vomiting into a garbage bag." Was this part of the ship's entertainment? I guess there's no room for a disco or a pool deck. Did you have to pay extra for this and were any there any prizes for best heave?
If this is something that you enjoy, why not join the US-by God Navy and cross the equator. Then you may get to crawl through a 25'-long tube full of rotting garbage that has been stashed for weeks. If you're good, as I apparently was, then you can have the added bonus of having a rotten onion placed in your mouth as you start your adventure crawl. This is, of course, after you have maybe had the dining pleasure of eating olives out of the lard-coated belly rolls of The Royal Baby who is usually the fattest, oldest shellback on the boat or ship.
All part of the fun.

It was a Maraschino cherry for my crossing the line ceremony. I haven't eaten one since. Our 25 foot long tube was a 50 man liferaft. At the end of the liferaft some nasty shellback asked us what we were. If the answer was anything but shellback, you got to go through again. The guys in first div deflated the liferaft with a bosun's knife the next day.

I don't think I could subject my passengers to a shellback initiation. The Navy style is useless anymore too. They call it hazing.

I don't quite understand the "vomiting into a garbage bag." Was this part of the ship's entertainment? I guess there's no room for a disco or a pool deck. Did you have to pay extra for this and were any there any prizes for best heave? [snip]. . .

"I can't tell you, but I can show you!"

It was a Maraschino cherry for my crossing the line ceremony. I haven't eaten one since. Our 25 foot long tube was a 50 man liferaft. At the end of the liferaft some nasty shellback asked us what we were. If the answer was anything but shellback, you got to go through again. The guys in first div deflated the liferaft with a bosun's knife the next day.

I don't think I could subject my passengers to a shellback initiation. The Navy style is useless anymore too. They call it hazing.

I was talking with one of the guys from NS Mayport and he is getting out because of the vast culture change in the Navy, says it doesn't feel the same when he got in. Some people think these 'changes' are for the better but from what I gathered from people, overall they are not.

That's too bad you had crappy marine conditions: I took a trip with MV Spree and Cap't Frank about a year ago and was lucky to have near flat seas for the three day adventure. While we didn't have 100 feet of vis, we didn't have 10 feet either. I don't think anyone ever got lost on the way back to the mooring line, including on the night dives: so no scolding ensued. We had a completely full boat, so little elbow room down below, but it was a really nice group of divers and everyone seemed to have a blast. The crew was fantastic. At some point I'm sure I'll take another trip (maybe when the Spree is certified for the Bahamas crossing).

I might not be as lucky this weekend: supposed to board the Juliet in Miami for a week of diving in the Bahamas. I was already a bit worried about being on a sailing vessel, now with the TS Chantal is coming through, I'm sure we'll be rocking and rolling even more that I expected: that's assuming the trip is not cancelled. So do you have any of those extra barf bags sitting around that you could spare?!?!? Gotta buy some Bonine and stock up on the ginger!

[snip]

I might not be as lucky this weekend: supposed to board the Juliet in Miami for a week of diving in the Bahamas. I was already a bit worried about being on a sailing vessel, now with the TS Chantal is coming through, I'm sure we'll be rocking and rolling even more that I expected: that's assuming the trip is not cancelled. So do you have any of those extra barf bags sitting around that you could spare?!?!? Gotta buy some Bonine and stock up on the ginger!

I did a rough Juliet trip last Spring. We spent most nights hiding behind Cat Key. We did a lot of dives right around Bimini. The crossings were really rough. I even got off the boat (along with all the other passengers) for 4 hours in Bimini which I normally would object loudly to. We dove "Bull Run" about 6 times. Great site. We that concrete wreck. We dove "Bimini Rd." All-in-all it was a fun trip. Not much rain. Good viz. Loads of wind. That dive ladder on the starboard side of the vessel in rough seas is a BIG challenge! I hope it goes and you have a wonderful time. If Rudy is aboard, tell him I need him to captain on my November trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom