Mac or PC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The day Apple went Intel, I started switching over to Mac. Right now I have:
Macbook Pro
iMac
Mac Mini

(other boxes are sparcs)

And I wiped that blight called Windows off my only PC and installed Linux. Its a better world now :)

1 Windows "craptop"
2 built-from-scratch Windows desktop boxes
1 built-from scratch FreeBSD Unix web and email server
My ex took the Powerbook. I miss it, and will be replacing it soon. :)

1 iMac g4 (white dome)
1 iBook

Get ready for the fullscreen iPod on Sept. 5th it's gonna be amazing

The is an old saying that holds truth...
You can learn to use a Mac in d day, but you will pay for it the rest of your life.

There is many dedicated Apple fans out there and they do have good reasons the Apples are easier to use. But with 95% of the world using PC's, you will always be on the loosing end with cost and program compatibility.

I am not saying this as a snob. I started programming in 1981 and on Apples in 1982. This is how I paid my way (any my wifes) through college. I switched to the dark side (PC's) when it became obvious that is where is business is for me (Engineering). The Mac is still a good bet for educators and artist.

i have mac iBook G4. I use macs and PCs at work as well. time to change to a new mac laptop. i wish they would be cheaper though but i'm going to stick with macs.

GrumpyOldGuy:
The is an old saying that holds truth...
You can learn to use a Mac in d day, but you will pay for it the rest of your life.

I think thats a bit of a myth. I did a price comparison a while back and showed that apple is only slightly more expensive than other manufacturers. Its on this board somewhere..

GrumpyOldGuy:
There is many dedicated Apple fans out there and they do have good reasons the Apples are easier to use. But with 95% of the world using PC's, you will always be on the loosing end with cost and program compatibility.

Today's Macs can run Windows or OS X, or OS X with Windows running in a VM. So really, there's not much in the way of compatibility problems. Its true, Apples are easier to use. Thats because the OS is more efficient and robust.

GrumpyOldGuy:
I am not saying this as a snob. I started programming in 1981 and on Apples in 1982.

I was never an Apple fan until they started using Intel chips...

GrumpyOldGuy:
I switched to the dark side (PC's) when it became obvious that is where is business is for me (Engineering). The Mac is still a good bet for educators and artist.

Mac is a great bet for anything. I'm a network designer for a major telecom out here, and I wouldn't use anything else. I was pleased to see that many others in my company have decided to do the same. The revolution continues! :D

Ice9,

I agree with your response. People have made those remarks since the '80s, and they just don't hold true anymore and haven't for a few years. The only reason you could not go to a Mac is if your company is running proprietary software that only works on Windows, and as you pointed out, most of them will now run on the Intel machines which can run the Windows OS.

Warthaug:
I hate macs in multi-user facilities - I spend maybe 20min/week dealing with problems on our work PCs. I spend at least that daily dealing with problems on the macs. We have 2 macs, yet they consume 5-6x more of my time then do the dozen PC's...

Hmm, I'm not sure what industry you are in, but I worked at a large UC school as the most requested mac tech they had. I also worked PC's, and i currently consult both systems... In the large administration environment, macs were easy to administer via RadminD and remote desktop, and took about the same amount of time (or less) to get fixed versus the pc systems. On the individual machine support level, I see my mac clients maybe 1-2x a year, but I am up-to-date on my PC users lives every month or so...

Get a mac... If you have the technical know-how, build a hackintosh (insanelymac.com forums are a good starting place)

Ok guys, I really don't want to get into a hot and heavy PC vs Apple debate, this is not the place and I don't have the interest. Maybe the new Mac's are everything for everyone and we will all convert in the next few years. Forgive me if I am skeptical, I have been hearing this for 20+ years. They still have less than 3% of the market share, so something does not add up.

GrumpyOldGuy:
Ok guys, I really don't want to get into a hot and heavy PC vs Apple debate, this is not the place and I don't have the interest. Maybe the new Mac's are everything for everyone and we will all convert in the next few years. Forgive me if I am skeptical, I have been hearing this for 20+ years. They still have less than 3% of the market share, so something does not add up.

Apple's objective has historically been to focus on the higher-end creative / film / graphics sector with higher margins and lower sales. Wintel machines have always been about volume and razor thin margins. The insinuation that something "does not add up" because of apple's market share does not jive with Apple's quarterly earnings for the last few years.

Now, obviously I'm an apple fanboy... but:

Historically, it is a case of path dependence and lock-in, as well as a conscious choice for Apple to appeal to a high-end market share up until recently. When Microsoft licensed MS-DOS to run on ANY x86 compatible processor, they basically licensed the ability to manufacture the hardware. No monopoly on the hardware meant that the hardware was cheaper, and therefore business and government bought x86 / dos at a much greater rate than apple machines with motorola's chips. It is analogous to the VHS vs. Betamax war.

Had apple licensed the ability to make hardware and made the decision to go with x86 as opposed to motorola earlier in the life cycle, Macs would have a much larger market share with smaller margins. For a brief time, Apple licensed the ability to make mac-compatible hardware, but by then the PC architecture had really become locked-in.

Now that apple is on the x86 platform, their market share has grown more than a little bit:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/19/marketshare/index.php

(admittiedly the article is from macworld, but as long as you understand that all media have bias, take it for what you will.)

Also keep in mind that when people go to an apple store and buy an iPod or other device, they generally get a chance to play with OS-X and like it. I can't find the article right now, but there was a story recently about apple's market share in the computer market being helped a lot by bounce traffic from iPod sales in the stores.

Up until the iMac, the last real attempt to build a low-end mac was the powermac 5300-ish series - absolute garbage. I personally agree that the price of a Mac Pro quad is about $500-600 too high, but because of the x86 architecture, I'm building myself one out of PC parts and paying apple strictly for OS-X. However, Apple's business model has and will be to sell high end, high quality products to an almost evangelically fanatical user base. It seems to work for them, and every time I go to a PC user's home to fix yet another hijacked zombie machine, I remember the old axiom:

There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.

- John Ruskin

Except of course that a copy of XP or Vista costs more than a copy of OS-X.

Back
Top Bottom