Mach V and Hammerhead BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halcyon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, the Oxycheq Mach V rocks! So does the Hammerhead plate which IS a rock.

Only thing is my head keeps banging my reg 1st stage bad no matter how low I sling my tank. Am using the Hammerhead 2 pc light STA which is quite thick and can only fit to the 2nd highest grommet on the wing - am wondering if a slimmer STA might be able to fit to the 1st (highest grommet) and thus allow a lower tank position.

Any users who might be able to advise? I don't want to drill a lower hole in the plate unless it's absolutely necessary.

Cheers,
Halc

halcyon:
Hi all,

First off, the Oxycheq Mach V rocks! So does the Hammerhead plate which IS a rock.

Only thing is my head keeps banging my reg 1st stage bad no matter how low I sling my tank. Am using the Hammerhead 2 pc light STA which is quite thick and can only fit to the 2nd highest grommet on the wing - am wondering if a slimmer STA might be able to fit to the 1st (highest grommet) and thus allow a lower tank position.

Any users who might be able to advise? I don't want to drill a lower hole in the plate unless it's absolutely necessary.

Cheers,
Halc

Seems odd you have clearance problems given the HH back plate has a very deep center channel, and the plate has a steep angle. That plus a STA should move the tank pretty far away from your head.

Have you tried rotating the tank a bit so the orfice is not pointed directly at the back of your head? Try turning the tank so the valve handle is a little closer to you head. That will move the the first stage to your left. This alos makes valve access a little easier for some. It's a zero $$ fix so nothng to lose in trying.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Seems odd you have clearance problems given the HH back plate has a very deep center channel, and the plate has a steep angle. That plus a STA should move the tank pretty far away from your head.

Have you tried rotating the tank a bit so the orfice is not pointed directly at the back of your head? Try turning the tank so the valve handle is a little closer to you head. That will move the the first stage to your left. This alos makes valve access a little easier for some. It's a zero $$ fix so nothng to lose in trying.

Tobin

Hey Tobin,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, you're right it is a deep plate and plus STA gives some separation between the tank and my back but I guess the tank is SO high up I still hit my head regardless.

Wow, that's a novel fix! Will give that a try, thanks.

Halc

You could try crossing the straps behind your head. This seems to move the plate down a bit on me.

All the best, James

I have not used your wing but I do use the Hammerhead plate and have used it with singles with their dual sta and also with doubles. Move the cam bands and or sta down as far as possible. Lengthen the shoulder straps and readjust the croths strap.

Unlike most of you, I wear my tanks very low by current standards --because I dive with double hose, because it balances better, because it DOES NOT hit my head.

It is a pain readjusting the harness--I know--but try that.

I have come to consider the standard BP non optimal for single tank diving. They are great for doubles which is what they were meant for but compromise to many things whn diving singles. Unfortuanetly it is not as simple as making my own design of plate, which I am considering, the wings have to have the correct shapeand since most of them seem to be designed for a non optimal plate, they then are non optimal. One compromise begets another, not a good solution. N

Nemrod:
I have come to consider the standard BP non optimal for single tank diving.

Why?

As to the original question, I second Nemrod's solution. I've had the same issue with a 1-piece STA so what I do is I don't use the top STA cam strap slot. Instead I just pin the strap underneath the middle of the STA so that I can put the tank lower down where it doesn't hit my head.

Nemrod:
I have not used your wing but I do use the Hammerhead plate and have used it with singles with their dual sta and also with doubles. Move the cam bands and or sta down as far as possible. Lengthen the shoulder straps and readjust the croths strap.

The original designer of this plate, has stated that it was optomised for doubles, and for storage space between the plate and the tank.

FredT:
Please be aware that "closer" with singles aind "closer" with doubles may be mutually exclusive. Every manufacturer uses a different "model" and assumption sets (except for Hammerhead, they just cloned mine, without asking) with various considerations. I optomized mine for underplate storage, drysuit clearance and doubles with tanks from 6.9" OD to 8.5" OD.

This is quoted from Post # 26 in this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=154017&page=3&highlight=hammerhead

Nemrod:
Unlike most of you, I wear my tanks very low by current standards --because I dive with double hose, because it balances better, because it DOES NOT hit my head.

It is a pain readjusting the harness--I know--but try that.

I have come to consider the standard BP non optimal for single tank diving. They are great for doubles which is what they were meant for but compromise to many things whn diving singles. Unfortuanetly it is not as simple as making my own design of plate, which I am considering, the wings have to have the correct shapeand since most of them seem to be designed for a non optimal plate, they then are non optimal. One compromise begets another, not a good solution. N

Nemrod,

I would encourage you to try a DSS plate (and wing) One of the primary design criteria was to optomise it for single tank use while retaining the capacity to mount doubles.

You are quite correct in saying most plates were designed for doubles and adapted for singles, with varying degrees of success.

I will say that although I learned to dive with double hose regs, it's been a very long time since I used one, and I have not tried a Double hose reg on our BP&W, so there maybe some other issue I'm not aware of.

I do look with some envy at your vintage gear. :wink:

Tobin

Get a two piece STA, it will allow you to drop the tank further. The single piece generally does not unless you add additional slots or other fooling around.

Same reason the fellow on the Jet Plate found them non optimal, the tanks sit to high up, the tank sits to far back from the body inducing rolling and making it further diffucult to configure the tank such that you can reach the valves (for those who think that is needed on a single) and still keep the tank down far enough to not whack your head.

I am not speaking badly of plates, I like my Hammerhead, but plates of this type were originally designed for doubles and therefore clearly they require additional set up to avoid the problems the original post was speaking of. It can be done but what the world really needs is a plate that is designed for singles. There are a few, the Jet plate, thta Mark Medows unit, perhaps others.

Plates are not new, way back around 1962 (before my diving days began by a long shot) there were plates such as the dogbone steel plates and then there were Hawaiian plates and in the 80s plastic plates. Plates are not new and we pretty much still deal with the same issues. During those times they adapted single plates for doubles, now we adapt double plates for singles, what we need are plates designed specifically for one or the other.

BTW, as Floater and I mention, you can lengthen your shoulder straps somewhat without compromising the stability of the rig--just don't over do it. I prefer mine a little loose anyways. This will set it down further on your back. N

Nemrod:
Get a two piece STA, it will allow you to drop the tank further. The single piece generally does not unless you add additional slots or other fooling around.

The guy already has a 2-pc STA but it's not working for him for some reason. Ideally a 1-piece STA would have 3 sets of slots for the cam straps, but all the lightweight, low profile models I've seen only have one at the top and one at the bottom. However, the advantage is that you can still lock the cam strap anywhere between the plate/wing and the STA to make it work even though that's not how it's meant to be used.

Nemrod:
Same reason the fellow on the Jet Plate found them non optimal, the tanks sit to high up, the tank sits to far back from the body inducing rolling and making it further diffucult to configure the tank such that you can reach the valves (for those who think that is needed on a single) and still keep the tank down far enough to not whack your head.

I'm confused. Generally speaking as valve access get better head clearance gets worse. I've seen a number of reports about Jet Plates and lack of head clearance, none referencing valve access issues.

As the tank is spaced away from the divers body (steeply bent plates, and or deep center channels, and or STA's head clearance issues disappear, but valve access problems and "turtling" problems are reported.

Out of curiosty How does a cottom harness (looks cool BTW) differ in terms of clearance, valve access and rolling?

Nemrod:
I am not speaking badly of plates, I like my Hammerhead, but plates of this type were originally designed for doubles and therefore clearly they require additional set up to avoid the problems the original post was speaking of. It can be done but what the world really needs is a plate that is designed for singles. There are a few, the Jet plate, thta Mark Medows unit, perhaps others.

Nemrod, the DSS plate is as low profile as it can be as still allow doubles to mount in a conventional manner.

Nemrod:
now we adapt double plates for singles, what we need are plates designed specifically for one or the other.

Why? Our plate does both well.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom