Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I am trying to find myself some dive buddies and I'd prefer to dive with another female but I somehow forgot what a "macho" sport this is! Now that I've had time to think about it yes the majority of the people at local dive sites are men, most of the employees at the LDS are men, and boy there seem to be a lot of men on this board!

Do you ladies dive primarily with a.) men b.) other ladies c.) 50/50?

I'm going to see if the LDS can help me find a female buddy but I may just have to bite the bullet.

Gidds:
I am trying to find myself some dive buddies and I'd prefer to dive with another female but I somehow forgot what a "macho" sport this is! Now that I've had time to think about it yes the majority of the people at local dive sites are men, most of the employees at the LDS are men, and boy there seem to be a lot of men on this board!

I'm going to see if the LDS can help me find a female buddy but I may just have to bite the bullet.

I may get a lot of grief for saying this but...what's new? anyway, I think you need to head south to warm water to find lady divers. You see, men, real men anyway :D , are basically gear heads which is why it's mostly men diving cold water. They love all that extra gear and stuff....dry suits, doubles.... I mean, what else could it be? "dude, great dive man. We were down 60 feet in 3 foot vis in the quarry....it was awesome looking at that 62 VW..." Reeeaaaallllly..... Whereas, warm water is just basic gear. Which is why all the real men think we're wimps. But ladies love it. Warm, pretty, clear water...yeah, you should head south.... :D

Although I am a dude I usually prefer to dive with women. Some dudes think being macho is about doing stupid stuff.
Ladies are much more level headed in the water

As a rule my favourite dive buddy is my wife-to-be. She is a great wee diver

Gidds:

The first year I was diving with only guys, except for one female diver. She and I didn't get to dive too much together because of her job which required tons of out-of-state travel, and the fact she has a hubbie and two teenage sons to take care of. :D I did drag her along last November for the SB Key Largo trip. This year two really great girlies joined my dive club so now I have them for company. I still dive with guys most of the time but who's complaining. :wink: Also, I'm one of the few and far between that does not mind cold water and low vis.

Gidds, you should check out your regional club on Scubaboard because I'm sure you can meet some female divers that way. That is how I met the two girls that I dive with now.

Mel

suthnbelle:
......... I still dive with guys most of the time but who's complaining. :wink:
Yeah, that's what I was gonna say :D

suthnbelle:
Gidds, you should check out your regional club on Scubaboard because I'm sure you can meet some female divers that way. That is how I met the two girls that I dive with now.

Mel
Ditto this too. You'll meet lots of great people this way. Girls and guys. I know what you're saying about the macho thing. Not all guys are this way. No doubt you'll meet one or two girls you might not want to dive with either. It's not just a guy thing. It's a ratio of guy divers to chick divers and it works for me! I like the odds :D

My $.02

I'm a guy. And I find (apart from my preferred buddy, Arnaud) that consistently, my best buddies are women.

Whether my wife, Jaye or HBDiveChica, or Sapphire, or ScubaBabeLaurel, or Wrinkles or Kelphelper or any of the other ladies I regularly dive with, women have proven again and again to be the most attentive, the most conscientious and surely the best informed (as in "what is that fishie called?" or "what is that creature's real name..?") buddies I dive with.

They're generally not hoovers, they don't whine or complain, they aren't usually interested in conquering the deep - they usually just want to dive and have a good time under water. Bottom line: I simply have more fun when I dive with women.

Skilled ladies are always my first choice in dive buddies. Always.
---
Ken

PS: all of the above (with the exception of wifie) I've met thru ScubaBoard.

I just want to dive...the problem that I have is that most of the divers I know are men, (married men) and either their wives have a problem with them diving with me, or I feel like I'm intruding on some sort of he-man woman haters club....I just want to dive, you can have him back when we surface!!

suthnbelle:
This year two really great girlies joined my dive club so now I have them for company. I still dive with guys most of the time but who's complaining. :wink: Also, I'm one of the few and far between that does not mind cold water and low vis.

Mel
love you too, mel.

gidds, just go, with whoever. guys can be great buddies (the guys in our group sure are), and if one isn't just mark him off your list. the regional area of scubaboard, like mel said, is a good starting place, or your lds's club, or your local dive site's club. just go! woo hoo!

My buddy is pretty much my hubby and sometimes other friends join in with us..but, they are also males. I think i rather dive with men than females. I've dove with females and i didn't like it. just my MHO i guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom