Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, females make *better* dive buddies due to their attentiveness and air consumption. I wish you luck on finding women to dive with, but don't count all of us guys out automatically. Some of us aren't bad at all :D

If all else fails move to Japan! There are many more ladies who dive here than men!! :D

I noticed that in another thread, you seem to know scubasaurus. Have you aproached him? It was my pleasure to dive with him on one occasion, and he is not only an excellent diver, you would be hard pressed to find a more soft spoken, easy going person, man, or woman. Point is, not all men are hard *****es, keep looking, compatible dive buddies are tough to find. Don't limit yourself to a gender specific list, you may be missing out on some fine partners!

Gidds:
I am trying to find myself some dive buddies and I'd prefer to dive with another female but I somehow forgot what a "macho" sport this is! Now that I've had time to think about it yes the majority of the people at local dive sites are men, most of the employees at the LDS are men, and boy there seem to be a lot of men on this board!

Do you ladies dive primarily with a.) men b.) other ladies c.) 50/50?

I'm going to see if the LDS can help me find a female buddy but I may just have to bite the bullet.

As an instructor I am seeing more and more women comming into the sport. In fact, the women that come to class with their boyfriends or husbands are better students and most can dive the pants off of the guys they are with.

As someone said,head south,I prefer south myself.(COZUMEL)

Ron

I mostly dive with my husband (or did - pre-pregnancy).
When not with my husband I got chosen by other divers because of my air consumption. I would often dive with blokes with twin tanks and me on single because we matched consumption.
Male divers are less attentive buddies than female divers, and in general are not so good on the air consumption. However, less experienced female divers are more prone to panic than less experienced male divers, or at least more prone to showing panic.
Just my 2c.

I dive with mostly men, 'cause that's what's available. The big question is, how much do you want to dive? I want to dive every weekend, so 98% of the time I end up diving with men. Most of them I know, but occasionally I don't know them, and if that's the case I do some screening before the dive. And some of them I have crossed off my buddy list for various reasons.

LOOK this thread only has 18 post! There was a previous thread about how Female Divers could not meet men and it SOARED!

Just as WE (men) said in that thread... there are boats FULL of men everyday..just go diving!

Eric

Twistinside:
I just want to dive...the problem that I have is that most of the divers I know are men, (married men) and either their wives have a problem with them diving with me, or I feel like I'm intruding on some sort of he-man woman haters club....I just want to dive, you can have him back when we surface!!

This is one of the reasons I don't especially want to dive with men. I once played ice hockey on a coed team so I know the feeling :rolleyes:

I am considoring drafting a "permission slip" for any married or involved potential buddies that will read something like this:

Please take him diving! I am sick of hearing about BCDs, although I understand that this has nothing to do with lingerie and that diving is a perfectly innocent activity.

Signed: Wifes/GFs name here Date:

CUunderH2O:
I dive with mostly men, 'cause that's what's available. The big question is, how much do you want to dive?

I think I may just have to get over it because I haven't found any ladies who want to dive but there are a few gents undergoing my "screening protocol"

A couple people mentioned by local dive club or the forum for my region. Pretty much everybody there is also male. The few people I have met from here are guys who like to hang around at 85' and don't like to look around for butterfly fish the size of dimes apparently. What exactly DO guys do at 85' anyway or do I want to know?:rolleyes:

Other reasons I'd rather have female buddies:

air consumption would be relatively similar
everybody here insists that female buddies are better :wink:
the whole "internet guy" creepiness/very real danger factor
most men are huge compared to me and I worry that in an emergency I won't be strong enough to help them
guys that are my size are often wimpy and who wants to dive with wimpy guys? :wink:
guys my age are obnoxious :shakehead:

I guess I shall resign myself to having older male dive buddies most of the time

The Few Potential Advantages I see in Having a Male Dive Buddy (please add to list):

if I have to dive with a behemoth at least our air consumption will be similar since I'm a novice
Large scary male dive buddy will discourage those creepy guys in the parking lot who lear at me as I get in and out of my wetsuit :wink:

Gee I'm glad to be reading all of this. In my limited dive history (46) I have found that many of my nicest dives have been with women including my wife. I like a nice leisurely paced dive, kick glide look, kick glide look or at least slow relaxed kick strokes. Male buddies have often been is some kind of race. If I want that kind of workout I'll go skin-diving! I've also had male buddies that seem to share the same aproximate style. So far no female has had to end a dive because I was the one low on air so I guess that makes me odd, I can live with that!

I like to dive at every opportunity and while my wife is very enthusiastic her schedule is not always acomodating. She knows and has also dived with the other women and she's OK with the whole thing. There are often other divers or buddy pairs diving with us.

Getting into the sport at 48 I think I'm past most of the macho stuff. At my age I'm trying to make a beeline for finesse.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom