Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds:
A couple people mentioned by local dive club or the forum for my region. Pretty much everybody there is also male. The few people I have met from here are guys who like to hang around at 85' and don't like to look around for butterfly fish the size of dimes apparently. What exactly DO guys do at 85' anyway or do I want to know?:rolleyes:

air consumption would be relatively similar

the whole "internet guy" creepiness/very real danger factor

guys that are my size are often wimpy and who wants to dive with wimpy guys? :wink:
guys my age are obnoxious :shakehead:

I guess I shall resign myself to having older male dive buddies most of the time

I'm sure there's more than one local dive club in your area..
85' - there's probably something interesting down there.. I don't think people just hang at one depth for the whole dive unless there's something to see. Did you ask them what's at 85'?

Air consumption- yup, women generally do much better... so if you can't find a woman, try a guy with a larger tank (steel 120 or doubles). That way their heavy air consumption won't cut your dive short.. in fact, you'll run out before them.

Wimpy guys.. you just mentioned that you didn't feel confident lugging a heavy guy through the water in case of emergency.. Wimpy guys aren't as heavy :)

An older guy will probably be more responsible and less apt to take chances that a younger "macho" will might... so heres the bottom line:

Get a wimpy older man with a large tank/doubles....

But then again, a wimpy man can't carry your gear or tanks ...hmmm...

Personally, I appreciate my dive buddies...they are male, but I'd have no problem diving with a woman.. All I ask for is a safe, level headed, responsible, buddy (preferably with a good sense of humor. :D )

Gidds:
if I have to dive with a behemoth at least our air consumption will be similar since I'm a novice
Large scary male dive buddy will discourage those creepy guys in the parking lot who lear at me as I get in and out of my wetsuit :wink:
I'm a male of around your age, and I'm a little guy with pretty good air consumption :wink:

I've played hockey many times in Troy but I wasn't aware there was any good diving.

If I dive with a little guy how is he gonna scare off the dirty old men learing at me? :wink:

Diving? In TROY?

Yeah, uh... something like that.... lol.

I either drive to Canada, New Jersey, or the coast to go diving.

As for scaring the dirty old men off.... didn't you notice my avatar?! The glowing red eyes scare off everyone :D

jonnythan:
As for scaring the dirty old men off.... didn't you notice my avatar?! The glowing red eyes scare off everyone :D

It wasn't the glowing eyes -- he he he

Kimber

Hey, be nice :wink:

Gidds:
I am trying to find myself some dive buddies and I'd prefer to dive with another female but I somehow forgot what a "macho" sport this is! Now that I've had time to think about it yes the majority of the people at local dive sites are men, most of the employees at the LDS are men, and boy there seem to be a lot of men on this board!

Do you ladies dive primarily with a.) men b.) other ladies c.) 50/50?

I'm going to see if the LDS can help me find a female buddy but I may just have to bite the bullet.
Gidds,
My favorite dive buddy is a woman. She and I even travel together, as we did a live aboard last February, and we are going to the Keys this February with other buddies. She and her boyfriend go out to dinner and hang out with my girlfriend and I, and everyone is cool with the arrangement. We are just dive buddies. Neither of our significant others care to dive, so they allow us to do it together.
In the water we can almost read each other's mind as we have dove so much together.
Gidds, like the NIKE slogan says...JUST DO IT!
Chris

Gidds:
the whole "internet guy" creepiness/very real danger factor
)

:lol3: That's a good one..

I usually prefer to dive with women, but dont mine diving with a man, as long he dont try to show off and do something stupid, so it all depends on the person.

Dive Safe ! :)

Deb

Hank49:
:lol3: That's a good one..

It's NOT at all funny :angry: I've had problems with "Internet guys" before, although I was most likely not in any danger. Other women have had a lot more than problems. It is a valid concern and something people of both genders should be careful about.

NOTE: I made my buddy play dead today so I could do a distressed diver tow and see how difficult it would be for me. Let's just say I need to work on that a bit and if you are my buddy you'd better hope you are merely unconsious and not in need of CPR immediately because it is gonna take us awhile to get to shore.

Back
Top Bottom