Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by nitroxbabe
I'm not sure exactly what about her comments has turned you off, but I "audition" people to some extent. I'll go jump in the local quarry with just about anybody, but if we're doing deep wrecks in the Great Lakes I want to know I'm with a competent diver.

Not having to worry about my buddy killing me or themself reduces stress underwater, IMHO.

I see you're a tech diver - don't you check your dive buddies out????!!!!!

I´m not sure what turned me off either to be honest but something did...I tried to "soften" my approach a bit but being at work I guess I didn´t give it enough attention...

One part of it propably was that she said here usual depth was 45ft, I respect and understand that every1 has different boundaries but to me a 45ft dive (like Gidds said herself) is about as simple as it can get...and so I would adjust my standards accordingly...

For me the most important quality of a prospective buddy is attitude. Everything else can be "fixed" as long as the attitude is there. For techdives I do ask other questions but again attitude and personal "fit" plays the biggest role...Competence is "easy" to assess and will determine the level of complexity that I will accept with a buddy but attitude and "fit" will determine whether I´ll dive with someone at all...

Sorry for the slight hi-jack and if anyone was offended, please accept my apologies...

grazie42:
I´m not sure what turned me off either to be honest but something did...I tried to "soften" my approach a bit but being at work I guess I didn´t give it enough attention...

One part of it propably was that she said here usual depth was 45ft, I respect and understand that every1 has different boundaries but to me a 45ft dive (like Gidds said herself) is about as simple as it can get...and so I would adjust my standards accordingly...

For me the most important quality of a prospective buddy is attitude. Everything else can be "fixed" as long as the attitude is there. For techdives I do ask other questions but again attitude and personal "fit" plays the biggest role...Competence is "easy" to assess and will determine the level of complexity that I will accept with a buddy but attitude and "fit" will determine whether I´ll dive with someone at all...

Sorry for the slight hi-jack and if anyone was offended, please accept my apologies...

Hey, I'm not offended. You don't need to "PC" things up on my behalf... I hate that crap personally. :D

At any rate, I missed the whole 45' thing. Yes, that makes a bit of difference. Although I don't entirely agree with you about "everything else can be fixed"... Hoovers & rototillers aren't quite so easy to repair, even if they have GREAT attitudes. A lack of training or experience may be fixable, but generally I don't want to spend what I consider a "quality" dive helping a newb. That we'll save for the quarry, thank you. I tend to get irritated when my 80 foot vis turns into 80 inches because someone has no fin etiquette.....

Ummm where did I say anything about 45'? :06: I thought I was accused of being a man-hater or something. I have no idea what that has to do with 45' though. :06:

grazie42:
You weren't alone. For me it was the snorkle thing. I don't even know where my snorkle is :wink:

That's exactly WHY I do the "snorkel thing", we wouldn't have any fun diving together :wink:

I hope you guys aren't implying that the "snorkel thing" makes me an awful person or something :frown:

JeffG:
I don't even know where my snorkle is :wink:

I have an extra pink one you can borrow.

Hank49:
I may get a lot of grief for saying this but...what's new? anyway, I think you need to head south to warm water to find lady divers. You see, men, real men anyway :D , are basically gear heads which is why it's mostly men diving cold water. They love all that extra gear and stuff....dry suits, doubles.... I mean, what else could it be? "dude, great dive man. We were down 60 feet in 3 foot vis in the quarry....it was awesome looking at that 62 VW..." Reeeaaaallllly..... Whereas, warm water is just basic gear. Which is why all the real men think we're wimps. But ladies love it. Warm, pretty, clear water...yeah, you should head south.... :D
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I love the warm water, more to see, better colors, nicer fish.

It might not taste as good but it's a small price to pay.

Plus it's better looking at a woman in a 3mm shorty then a 7mm farmerjohn with a hood. :D

Gidds:
LOL. I meant like: "Hey if you carry it this way it'll be easier"

Here is my tip -- let him carry it! (-;

Kimber

Hank49:
I have an extra pink one you can borrow.
Groovy...It will go with my pink weight clips. For some reason, they never get stolen :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom